Fwd: Titus Groan

  • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18 10:56 PM
      This may not be easily remembered by someone who is long away from Peake,
      and it may not seem to be the case at all to someone already unsympathetic
      to his writing, but to most of those who admire him, the Titus books
      (especially the earlier parts of each of the first two) are full of
      rampantly comic grotesqueries, both of character and of incident.

      Even the more serious parts - there's something innately risible about
      a pitched battle between an absurdly thin man and an absurdly fat man,
      especially if they're named Flay and Swelter, isn't there?

      If there isn't, one must simply say these books are not for you, and leave
      it at that. Although I admire Peake greatly, I sympathize. For though
      I thought the film "Fargo" an excellent movie, and I noted some incidental
      humor in it, the discovery that some (including the late Gene Siskel)
      considered it a laff riot left me speechless in astonishment.

      David Bratman