Re: Fwd: Titus Groan comes to television

  • Robert and Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 1999
      At 01:33 PM 8/17/99 EDT, you wrote:
      >>From SFX Magazine website:
      >> Peake's trilogy, a four-part serial. Gormenghast on BBC2.
      >>
      >> Mervyn Peake's epic Gormenghast trilogy is to become a four-part TV serial
      >> on BBC2, and is being pitched as a mix of ingeniously conceived fantasy
      >> and action-packed comedy.

      Comedy?!?! It's been many long years since I read the Gormenghast trilogy,
      and I never have felt the slightest temptation to reread it, but I can't
      remember any comedy in it. Okay, maybe when what's-her-name throws water
      on the fainting (or injured?) Steerpike and the water turns out to be
      mostly slime, having sat in a vase of flowers for far too long. If I
      remember that episode correctly it might be considered funny by some. I'm
      *still* not going to reread what I remember as a profoundly depressing set
      of books, so will someone kindly explain the comedy angle?

      With thanks,

      Jane, who has given up on Faulkner, too.