Re: [mythsoc] Quote query

    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2002
      Take a look at the following website:

      http://www.fsnielsen.com/txt/mir/mirrors-ch1.htm

      If you page down to the section called "The Denial of Reality," you will find
      the following:

      > "Much that in a realistic work would be done by `character delineation' is
      here done
      > simply by making the character an elf, a dwarf, or a hobbit," Lewis
      continues. "The
      > imagined beings have their insides on the outside; they are visible souls."

      I can't figure out from the page what work the quote is supposed to come
      from. Incidentally, all I had to do was put the sentence starting "The
      imagined beings . . ." into Google and this site came right up. It's always
      a good idea to put any quote you're searching for into Google.

      Wendell Wagner
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2002
        Not to discount the mighty power of Google, but the power of books is
        mightier. From one of them, I have confirmed that the quote is from
        Lewis's review of LOTR as a whole (to be distinguished from his review of
        Fellowship separately), titled "The Dethronement of Power" and published in
        "Time and Tide", Oct. 22, 1955. Both reviews are reprinted, together, in
        Lewis's "On Stories and Other Essays on Literature" and possibly elsewhere.

        David Bratman