Quote query

  • kerrie_perrina
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 8:46 AM
      Can anyone help me with my friend's questio below? It sounds like
      something that would be in "On Fairy-Stories," but I can't find it.

      Tolkien quote query
      ----------
      A friend of mine is trying to find more information on a quote that
      she read concerning CS Lewis and Tolkien:

      <...consider the point C. S. Lewis once made, asking why Tolkien
      should have chosen to point morals in such extravagant fantasy:
      "Because, I take it... the real life of men is of that mystical and
      heroic quality... The imagined beings have their inside on the
      outside; they are visible souls. And Man as a whole, Man pitted
      against the Universe, have we seen him at all till we see that he is
      like a hero in a fairy tale?" >

      (here's the source: www.nytimes.com/1967/01/15/books/tolkien-
      interview.html[/unlink]

      My friend's question: "Can anyone figure out whether it's Tolkien's
      own response, or Lewis's point? I need to pin it down.

      Soft whispers and valley blossoms,

      Kerrie
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 1:29 PM
        Take a look at the following website:

        http://www.fsnielsen.com/txt/mir/mirrors-ch1.htm

        If you page down to the section called "The Denial of Reality," you will find
        the following:

        > "Much that in a realistic work would be done by `character delineation' is
        here done
        > simply by making the character an elf, a dwarf, or a hobbit," Lewis
        continues. "The
        > imagined beings have their insides on the outside; they are visible souls."

        I can't figure out from the page what work the quote is supposed to come
        from. Incidentally, all I had to do was put the sentence starting "The
        imagined beings . . ." into Google and this site came right up. It's always
        a good idea to put any quote you're searching for into Google.

        Wendell Wagner
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4 11:13 PM
          Not to discount the mighty power of Google, but the power of books is
          mightier. From one of them, I have confirmed that the quote is from
          Lewis's review of LOTR as a whole (to be distinguished from his review of
          Fellowship separately), titled "The Dethronement of Power" and published in
          "Time and Tide", Oct. 22, 1955. Both reviews are reprinted, together, in
          Lewis's "On Stories and Other Essays on Literature" and possibly elsewhere.

          David Bratman