a funny Tolkien bit

  • Old.Ghost@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2002
      Forgive me if this was mentioned previously, but:

      "The Best of Dork Tower" #1 is available at comics/gaming shops. In it,
      there is a very funny 7-page comic strip about role-players who try to
      role-play "The Lord of the Rings".

      When I first read it, I couldn't stop laughing.

      Fair warning, you have to have a sense of humor and know the minimum
      basics about LotR.

      What's really funny is that after reading the comic, I wanted to re-read
      the books again. (read 7-pages of comic strips, get urge to read
      hundreds and hundreds of pages of a story I've already read so often ...
      okay, maybe I'm *not* sane)

      And a question for the list: after reading this comic and "Bored of the
      Rings", can anyone think of other spoofs/funny takes of other major
      Fantasy, SF or other such books?

      ~ Old Ghost
      p.s., check out my underpopulated list, OGREzine, here at yahoogroups, or
      send e-mail to OGREzine-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • mjrksr
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2002
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Old.Ghost@j... wrote:
        > Forgive me if this was mentioned previously, but:
        >
        > "The Best of Dork Tower" #1 is available at comics/gaming shops.
        In it,
        > there is a very funny 7-page comic strip about role-players who
        try to
        > role-play "The Lord of the Rings".
        >
        > When I first read it, I couldn't stop laughing.
        >
        > Fair warning, you have to have a sense of humor and know the minimum
        > basics about LotR.
        >
        > What's really funny is that after reading the comic, I wanted to re-
        read
        > the books again. (read 7-pages of comic strips, get urge to read
        > hundreds and hundreds of pages of a story I've already read so
        often ...
        > okay, maybe I'm *not* sane)
        >
        > And a question for the list: after reading this comic and "Bored of
        the
        > Rings", can anyone think of other spoofs/funny takes of other major
        > Fantasy, SF or other such books?
        >
        > ~ Old Ghost
        > p.s., check out my underpopulated list, OGREzine, here at
        yahoogroups, or
        > send e-mail to OGREzine-subscribe@y...

        > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2002
          The "Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson" short stories by George Alec
          Effinger are spoofs of some science fiction standards, including Asimov's
          Nightfall, H.P. Lovecraft, and so on. Most were collected in one volume a
          few years ago, and at least one more has appeared in the "Chicks in Chain
          Mail" anthology series. If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of
          thing you'll like!

          Janet Croft

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .