Re: [mythsoc] A recreation of the Eliot, Williams talk on Christmas

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      A friend inquires

      > Drinking gin and lime
      > in their pyjamas
      > Could they have spent Christmas
      > in the Bahamas?

      DP
    • ssigrist
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2002
        Friends,
        Nice verse from Daimond...
        perhaps they were under the bamboo tree..
        But anyway in my account, or 'as I recall
        it took place', there is a warm pub,
        and Reilly with his usual gin and not
        a Dickensian 'Smoking Bishop' or something...

        Which,as far as that goes, is what I was
        (a smoking bishop that is) early after
        ordination to the work, but gave it up
        for prudential reasons...

        Now speaking of Harcourt-Reilly, it is
        maybe interesting how beside Williams
        use of Shelly's 'The Magus Zoroaster,
        my dead child,met his own image walking
        in the garden..' in Descent into Hell.
        We have Reilly citing it rather more
        fully in explaining (at the end of
        Cocktail Party) how he had forseen
        Celia's death when he first met her.

        The two uses of Shelly are distinct enough
        to make possible a 'compare and contrast'
        question for any literature teachers who
        are fortunate enough to feel their students
        could deal with it. Haven't quite worked
        it out myself, and dont worry I wont in
        this space :), uh unless urged on with
        an ecclesiastical virtual sherry or two,
        but not really the place for it I imagine,
        so not sure i could myself but it might
        have features of interest.
        +Seraphim