Re: [mythsoc] A recreation of the Eliot, Williams talk on Christmas

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 6:59 AM
      In a message dated 4/27/02 4:45:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
      ssigrist@... writes:

      > Come now Possum,
      > does it sound so false this Christmas night?"
      >
      > "I think I, for one will have another gin and lime"
      > said Eliot.

      Gin and lime
      at Christmas time?
      That sounds too chilly
      For Tom and Chuck Willie.

      Would they not rather,
      Brother to brother,
      Discuss the Mystical Body
      Over a cup of steaming hot toddy?

      "My word," says Charles with fainting breath,
      "As hot as Love! As strong as Death!"
      Great Tom holds out his cup, and saith
      "I should be glad of another death."

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        A friend inquires

        > Drinking gin and lime
        > in their pyjamas
        > Could they have spent Christmas
        > in the Bahamas?

        DP
      • ssigrist
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2002
          Friends,
          Nice verse from Daimond...
          perhaps they were under the bamboo tree..
          But anyway in my account, or 'as I recall
          it took place', there is a warm pub,
          and Reilly with his usual gin and not
          a Dickensian 'Smoking Bishop' or something...

          Which,as far as that goes, is what I was
          (a smoking bishop that is) early after
          ordination to the work, but gave it up
          for prudential reasons...

          Now speaking of Harcourt-Reilly, it is
          maybe interesting how beside Williams
          use of Shelly's 'The Magus Zoroaster,
          my dead child,met his own image walking
          in the garden..' in Descent into Hell.
          We have Reilly citing it rather more
          fully in explaining (at the end of
          Cocktail Party) how he had forseen
          Celia's death when he first met her.

          The two uses of Shelly are distinct enough
          to make possible a 'compare and contrast'
          question for any literature teachers who
          are fortunate enough to feel their students
          could deal with it. Haven't quite worked
          it out myself, and dont worry I wont in
          this space :), uh unless urged on with
          an ecclesiastical virtual sherry or two,
          but not really the place for it I imagine,
          so not sure i could myself but it might
          have features of interest.
          +Seraphim