Fwd: Titus Groan comes to television

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 1999
      From SFX Magazine website:

    • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 1999
        In a message dated 8/17/99 1:34:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
        writes (quoting SFX Magazine website) :

        > Mervyn Peake's epic Gormenghast trilogy is to become a four-part
        > TV serial on BBC2. . .

        For years the musician Sting tried to put together a film of the series. He
        had played Steerpike in a BBC radio drama, so he bought the film rights and
        tried to get someone to make a movie of it. Eventually he decided that he
        was too old anymore to play Steerpike, so he gave up the rights. Take a look
        at the Internet Movie Database entry on this series. It gives a list of who
        will be playing many of the parts.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Robert and Jane Bigelow
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 1999
          At 01:33 PM 8/17/99 EDT, you wrote:
          >>From SFX Magazine website:
          >> Peake's trilogy, a four-part serial. Gormenghast on BBC2.
          >>
          >> Mervyn Peake's epic Gormenghast trilogy is to become a four-part TV serial
          >> on BBC2, and is being pitched as a mix of ingeniously conceived fantasy
          >> and action-packed comedy.

          Comedy?!?! It's been many long years since I read the Gormenghast trilogy,
          and I never have felt the slightest temptation to reread it, but I can't
          remember any comedy in it. Okay, maybe when what's-her-name throws water
          on the fainting (or injured?) Steerpike and the water turns out to be
          mostly slime, having sat in a vase of flowers for far too long. If I
          remember that episode correctly it might be considered funny by some. I'm
          *still* not going to reread what I remember as a profoundly depressing set
          of books, so will someone kindly explain the comedy angle?

          With thanks,

          Jane, who has given up on Faulkner, too.