Re: [mythsoc] The pint is spilled out on the floor

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2002
      In a message dated 4/26/02 5:09:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
      jamcconney@... writes:

      > No, as I understand it, Williams meant this absolutely literally. The world
      > was created at the exact moment that Jesus was born--complete with camels,
      > rocks, towns and the whole shebang, including human beings with a lifetime
      > of
      > supposed memories, a fossil record, etc. etc. etc

      But if that were true, the Virgin never did get to say that famous word, and
      Jesus was just created by fiat, not grown in her womb over nine months, thus
      vitiating the Incarnation (imho).

      Besides, Jesus is the Word of God - in Xtn theology, the full expression of
      God, everything God has to say - not the word of the Virgin.

      My, that Williams could be one heretical chap at times.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2002
        In a message dated 4/26/2002 8:53:48 PM Central Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > My, that Williams could be one heretical chap at times.

        No, I think you're missing the point--Williams simply loved to play devil's
        advocate to demonstrate a theory. You're right, of course, that the
        creation-at-the-Nativity concept would give us a totally different theology.
        He also believed in the good scholarly principle that no theory should be
        automatically off the table.

        And he could be pretty off-the-wall at times :-))

        Jamaq

        . You're right, of course, that such a theory would give us a totally
        different theology.

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2002
          In a message dated 4/27/2002 8:15:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
          jamcconney@... writes:

          > . You're right, of course, that such a theory would give us a totally
          > different theology.

          This little extra tag at the end of my last post wasn't because I was being
          extra emphatic--it's there because at that point my cat decided to lie down
          on the keyboard. Apologies!
          Jamaq

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2002
            Isn't that what cats are good for?

            Mythically yours,

            Lisa

            PS Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on
            your computer. <g>