Re: [mythsoc] The pint is spilled out on the floor

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2002
      In a message dated 4/26/2002 3:08:07 PM Central Daylight Time, d-lena@...
      writes:

      > the world was created at Christmas

      No, as I understand it, Williams meant this absolutely literally. The world
      was created at the exact moment that Jesus was born--complete with camels,
      rocks, towns and the whole shebang, including human beings with a lifetime of
      supposed memories, a fossil record, etc. etc. etc. In other words, exactly
      the same thing the author of a book does when he brings a character (perhaps
      80 years old) into the narrative of his novel, provides memories and even
      flashbacks and in all ways treats this character as having had a long life
      previous to his/her appearance in the book. Williams' point was not to prove
      that this theory is true but rather to demonstrate how impossible it is to
      prove that it _isn't_.

      Jamaq

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2002
        In a message dated 4/26/02 5:09:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
        jamcconney@... writes:

        > No, as I understand it, Williams meant this absolutely literally. The world
        > was created at the exact moment that Jesus was born--complete with camels,
        > rocks, towns and the whole shebang, including human beings with a lifetime
        > of
        > supposed memories, a fossil record, etc. etc. etc

        But if that were true, the Virgin never did get to say that famous word, and
        Jesus was just created by fiat, not grown in her womb over nine months, thus
        vitiating the Incarnation (imho).

        Besides, Jesus is the Word of God - in Xtn theology, the full expression of
        God, everything God has to say - not the word of the Virgin.

        My, that Williams could be one heretical chap at times.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2002
          In a message dated 4/26/2002 8:53:48 PM Central Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > My, that Williams could be one heretical chap at times.

          No, I think you're missing the point--Williams simply loved to play devil's
          advocate to demonstrate a theory. You're right, of course, that the
          creation-at-the-Nativity concept would give us a totally different theology.
          He also believed in the good scholarly principle that no theory should be
          automatically off the table.

          And he could be pretty off-the-wall at times :-))

          Jamaq

          . You're right, of course, that such a theory would give us a totally
          different theology.

        • jamcconney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2002
            In a message dated 4/27/2002 8:15:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
            jamcconney@... writes:

            > . You're right, of course, that such a theory would give us a totally
            > different theology.

            This little extra tag at the end of my last post wasn't because I was being
            extra emphatic--it's there because at that point my cat decided to lie down
            on the keyboard. Apologies!
            Jamaq

          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 27, 2002
              Isn't that what cats are good for?

              Mythically yours,

              Lisa

              PS Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on
              your computer. <g>