Re: 1998 books

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 1999
      > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
      >
      > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
      > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
      > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
      > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
      > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.

      And I'd like to give Phantastes a thumbs-up. I discovered it about a month
      ago and really enjoyed what Staci's got up there. It's definitely worth a
      look.

      Matthew Winslow mwinslow@...
      http://www.firinn.org/~mwinslow/
      "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
      them." - Joseph Brodsky

      Currently reading: Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
    • Staci Dumoski
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 1999
        I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
        Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
        article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
        subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
        article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.

        Best,
        Staci

        *** *** ***
        Staci Dumoski unicorn@...
        Editor, Phantastes http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes
        The Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism

        On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Diane Baker wrote:

        > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
        >
        > Ellie: I think I gave a synopsis of *Arm* in BW 42, but it concerns a
        > young man preserving a thousand year old story, handed down through his
        > family in a land where technology is heavily regulated (hand-power) and
        > magic (mind-power) is preferred. When his brother commits an
        > infraction, his entire family is wiped out; he joins the regulators to
        > bring down the system from within. This summary does no justice to the
        > writing, and to the gripping interweaving of his life with that of a
        > female trainee in the same place. Later, it becomes a story of
        > intrigue. It's really quite good; I veiw it as something Tolkien might
        > have liked (even if he was ambivalent about technology, he was equally
        > ambivalent about magic getting out of hand); the world-building is very
        > interesting. I think it at least deserves consideration. ---djb.
        > > >
        > > > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>
        > > >
        > > > Diane Joy Baker wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'd like to
        > > > nominate *Arm of the Stone* for the MFA. Have you read it? ---djb.
        > >
        > > > Can you provide more info? Author, brief description, adult or children's???
        > >
        > > Here's a bit of info: --ddl
        > > Strauss, Victoria.
        > > | TITLE: The arm of the stone /
        > > | PLACE: New York :
        > > |PUBLISHER: Avon Eos,
        > > | YEAR: 1998
        > > | PUB TYPE: Book
        > > | FORMAT: 426 p. ; 18 cm.
        > > | ISBN: 0380797518
        > >
        > > David Lenander, Library Manager I
        > > Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
        > > Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
        > > Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
        > > University of Minnesota
        > > Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
        > >
        > > e-mail: d-lena@...
        > > web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html

      • Staci Dumoski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
          On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Diane Baker wrote:

          > I'd like to see that article. I take it I can get it from your online
          > address?

          Yes, it's available at http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes (along with a
          number of other articles on fantasy lit).

          Best,
          Staci Dumoski
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
              Staci Dumoski wrote:

              > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
              >
              > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
              > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
              > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
              > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
              > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.
              >
              > Best,
              > Staci
              >
              > *** *** ***
              > Staci Dumoski unicorn@...
              > Editor, Phantastes http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes
              > The Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism
              >
              >I'd like to pay you a compliment on your online 'zine. It's got some great stuff; esp. enjoyed the Victoria Strauss article, and the books on world-building---two of which I already own.

              Maybe you can help me: I'm looking for some material on magical rules
              and systems. I don't necessarily want spells or original sources (a la
              Dion Fortune) but articles on how to design a good magical system. Any
              pointers? Have already checked out the *Encyclopedia of Fantasy* by
              Clute and Co. Interesting, but I really want a copy of the whole
              encyclopedia, and can't afford it just now! My library doesn't have a
              copy, so can't Xerox or take notes. Thanks. ---djb.