Tolkien theme park

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
      Owning a copy of the One Ring was a sufficiently repellent concept for more
      obvious reasons, so it was not until Trudy mentioned that they sell Nenya
      too that I realized that I wouldn't want to own that either. Whatever the
      beauty and craftsmanship of the work, there seems to me something
      inherently tacky in a _reproduction_ of a magical object. Like a fake
      saint's relic.

      Somehow this reminds me of the idea of a Tolkien theme park.

      Come to think of it, I've actually been to a Tolkien theme park. And it
      was so tacky on every level that I could enjoy it for its consistency of
      kitchiness. One can never be sure if such things will still be there when
      one goes back, but it was certainly there several years ago. It's called
      "Hobbiton U.S.A." and it's a set of dioramas displaying scenes from _The
      Hobbit_, set among the redwoods of Northern California, off the Avenue of
      the Giants south of Eureka. Recorded narration at each stop outlines the
      plot. The final sentence of the last narration is, "And so Bilbo returned
      safely to his hobbit hole, just as you will soon return to the parking lot."

      Really, I'm not making this up. Some other intrepid traveler put a few
      photos up on the web. They're linked to from near the bottom of this page:
      <http://www.steveospage.com/travelogue/day1.htm>

      David Bratman
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
        In a message dated 4/26/2002 9:33:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > "And so Bilbo returned
        > safely to his hobbit hole, just as you will soon return to the parking
        > lot."

        Cars as the American version of hobbit holes -- now THERE'S an idea for a
        Mythsoc paper!

        Ah, the absurdity of life . . . thanks for sharing that, David. It made me
        laugh aloud.

        Susan

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
          In a message dated 4/26/02 11:33:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          > I've actually been to a Tolkien theme park.

          Oh my word, David, whoever turned you on to that!!??

          Anyway, thanks. IMO that's a much better Gollum than Peter Jackson's will be!

          Diamond Proudbrook