Re: [mythsoc] Benign jewelry

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
      Yep, that brooch *is* pretty, isn't it?

      I just saw an ad for LotR keychains. One's the One Ring, one's a viewfinder
      thingie with a picture of Bag End, and one's a tiny replica of Sting which
      glows blue when you push a button.

      But if I have a One Ring keychain, this means my keys will be yearning to
      return to Sauron, and I'm not sure that's a very good idea. I have a hard
      enough time keeping track of them as it is!

      Susan
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
        Owning a copy of the One Ring was a sufficiently repellent concept for more
        obvious reasons, so it was not until Trudy mentioned that they sell Nenya
        too that I realized that I wouldn't want to own that either. Whatever the
        beauty and craftsmanship of the work, there seems to me something
        inherently tacky in a _reproduction_ of a magical object. Like a fake
        saint's relic.

        Somehow this reminds me of the idea of a Tolkien theme park.

        Come to think of it, I've actually been to a Tolkien theme park. And it
        was so tacky on every level that I could enjoy it for its consistency of
        kitchiness. One can never be sure if such things will still be there when
        one goes back, but it was certainly there several years ago. It's called
        "Hobbiton U.S.A." and it's a set of dioramas displaying scenes from _The
        Hobbit_, set among the redwoods of Northern California, off the Avenue of
        the Giants south of Eureka. Recorded narration at each stop outlines the
        plot. The final sentence of the last narration is, "And so Bilbo returned
        safely to his hobbit hole, just as you will soon return to the parking lot."

        Really, I'm not making this up. Some other intrepid traveler put a few
        photos up on the web. They're linked to from near the bottom of this page:
        <http://www.steveospage.com/travelogue/day1.htm>

        David Bratman
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
          In a message dated 4/26/2002 9:33:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          > "And so Bilbo returned
          > safely to his hobbit hole, just as you will soon return to the parking
          > lot."

          Cars as the American version of hobbit holes -- now THERE'S an idea for a
          Mythsoc paper!

          Ah, the absurdity of life . . . thanks for sharing that, David. It made me
          laugh aloud.

          Susan

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
            In a message dated 4/26/02 11:33:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            > I've actually been to a Tolkien theme park.

            Oh my word, David, whoever turned you on to that!!??

            Anyway, thanks. IMO that's a much better Gollum than Peter Jackson's will be!

            Diamond Proudbrook