Benign jewelry

  • trudygshaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
      For those who can't understand why anyone would want to wear the symbol of ultimate evil, The Noble Collection has some stuff from the "good guys," some available now, some for pre-order.

      I get their catalogs (probably because I subscribe to a couple of fantasy magazines), but have never bought anything from them. They have the Lothlorien leaf brooch, though, and it sure... is... pretty...

      Also Nenya, the Ring of Barahir, and Arwen's pendant (of course--that was a merchandising tie-in waiting to happen). They're all pretty expensive and I'm not much into rings or pendants--but, boy, that brooch is tempting and not quite as pricey. They also have Sting and a few other odds and ends.

      (And for those who *do* want the symbol of ultimate evil, there are a couple of versions of The One Ring [did you know that's trademarked?]).

      And, no, I don't get a commission 8-) . Just thought some people might be interested.

      --Trudy

    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
        Yep, that brooch *is* pretty, isn't it?

        I just saw an ad for LotR keychains. One's the One Ring, one's a viewfinder
        thingie with a picture of Bag End, and one's a tiny replica of Sting which
        glows blue when you push a button.

        But if I have a One Ring keychain, this means my keys will be yearning to
        return to Sauron, and I'm not sure that's a very good idea. I have a hard
        enough time keeping track of them as it is!

        Susan
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
          Owning a copy of the One Ring was a sufficiently repellent concept for more
          obvious reasons, so it was not until Trudy mentioned that they sell Nenya
          too that I realized that I wouldn't want to own that either. Whatever the
          beauty and craftsmanship of the work, there seems to me something
          inherently tacky in a _reproduction_ of a magical object. Like a fake
          saint's relic.

          Somehow this reminds me of the idea of a Tolkien theme park.

          Come to think of it, I've actually been to a Tolkien theme park. And it
          was so tacky on every level that I could enjoy it for its consistency of
          kitchiness. One can never be sure if such things will still be there when
          one goes back, but it was certainly there several years ago. It's called
          "Hobbiton U.S.A." and it's a set of dioramas displaying scenes from _The
          Hobbit_, set among the redwoods of Northern California, off the Avenue of
          the Giants south of Eureka. Recorded narration at each stop outlines the
          plot. The final sentence of the last narration is, "And so Bilbo returned
          safely to his hobbit hole, just as you will soon return to the parking lot."

          Really, I'm not making this up. Some other intrepid traveler put a few
          photos up on the web. They're linked to from near the bottom of this page:
          <http://www.steveospage.com/travelogue/day1.htm>

          David Bratman
        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
            In a message dated 4/26/2002 9:33:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            > "And so Bilbo returned
            > safely to his hobbit hole, just as you will soon return to the parking
            > lot."

            Cars as the American version of hobbit holes -- now THERE'S an idea for a
            Mythsoc paper!

            Ah, the absurdity of life . . . thanks for sharing that, David. It made me
            laugh aloud.

            Susan

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
              In a message dated 4/26/02 11:33:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
              dbratman@... writes:

              > I've actually been to a Tolkien theme park.

              Oh my word, David, whoever turned you on to that!!??

              Anyway, thanks. IMO that's a much better Gollum than Peter Jackson's will be!

              Diamond Proudbrook