Just a half pint more

  • ssigrist
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2002
      Friends,
      David does what the best literary talk
      does, makes one want to go back to the
      book--in this case Smith.
      Although had said would in fact _not_
      even as pub talk advance idea of
      Niggle or Tower(in monster and critics)
      as the quintessence of Tolkien...I
      see some interest or further possiblity
      in ,in fact, doing that for (in pub terms)
      half a pint.

      It will necessarily be along the lines of
      what Eliot recalled Willaims as doing,
      in a pub adopting for the moment a heresy
      which said the world was created at Christmas
      (by the way a question on THAT, I recall
      looking through St John of Damascus' list
      of heresies which seemed a likely source
      and finding one something like that but not
      precise...has anyone another, or is that
      --and my memory is vague--it and then
      the heresy itself fine tuned by Williams
      as it were?).

      But here is the thought,limited to
      the monsters and crits one to save
      your time, HALF a pint gentlemen
      and ladies, and then my
      thought of where further it could go...

      That the man building the tower,LOTR
      in image, which then is not understood
      in its state after his death --what was
      it for? could see the sea from the
      tower. (the sea the primary world
      seen from the secondary, that is to
      say the primary world of the Divine
      first of all) that this is the deepest
      image that Tolkien had to offer of the
      human condition, that this is what
      man as subcreator does...
      <Man is born to build a tower to see
      the Sea> would be the form perhaps
      of our pub-Christmas-heresy.

      Well but then the question which can
      be remaining and even interesting...but
      someone else buy the next round perhaps!...
      is this, what is left out (well of course
      except as exemplified in the act of
      building and remembering the sea and
      yearning) the heroic code of the old
      companion at the battle of Malden which
      then lives through LOTR to the Gate of
      Doom, and much else... but is it in fact
      something like his deep intuition of
      human life or than what, well add on the
      Battle of Malden if we will, else
      remains?

      Hope this wasnt tiresome ,seemed just to
      me worth half a pint of interest but leave
      the glass unraised on the counter and
      will think no worse of you!
      yours
      +Seraphim

      *this started with the brevity of Silver John
      and I should say it is an indication of
      Tolkien's greater depth of working out the
      myth than Wellman's that it is really impossible
      to go beyond John as a character...irrecucible,
      numinous let it be, but without much deep structure.
      but that were it arguable would be for another
      time and probably list.