Re: Star Wars vs. Star Trek

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 1999
      On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 10:49:22PM -0500, Steve Schaper wrote:
      > From: Steve Schaper <sschaper@...>
      >
      > At 8:27 PM -0500 8/12/99, rspeer wrote:
      > > I think reality is the deciding factor. I think if
      > >Mankind does survive for thousands of years to come, the future would most
      > >likely resemble the future in Star Trek.

      I don't think that's exactly a proper basis for comparison between
      Star Trek and Star Wars, since Star Trek's premise is that it describes
      our future, and Star Wars' premise is that it describes our past.
      You know, the whole "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" thing.

      Personally, I enjoy the two series in different ways. Star Trek is
      a futuristic vision, a picture of how we might live centuries from now.
      Star Wars is more of a scifi fairy tale, in my opinion. It starts
      out with the equivalent of "Once upon a time." The weapon of choice
      is the light saber, one which combines technology with chivalry and
      great personal skill.

      On a lighter note, if you think our future will resemble Star Trek,
      and you appreciate Dilbert, Scott Adams' book, _The Dilbert Future_
      has an amusing chapter on why the future will not be like Star Trek. :)