Hugo nominations

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
      The Hugo Awards, the oldest and most renowned award in the
      science-fiction/fantasy field, will be presented at the World Science
      Fiction Convention in San Jose, California, Labor Day weekend. The
      finalist nominees have just been announced. Please note a couple fantasy
      novels of interest in the Novel category, two books on Tolkien in the
      Related Book (non-fiction and art books) category - the two best of the
      recent crop, I'm pleased to say - and all five of the Dramatic Presentation
      nominees are fantasies, including You Know What.

      - David Bratman

      The list follows:

      NOVEL
      American Gods, Neil Gaiman (Morrow)
      The Chronoliths, Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)
      Cosmonaut Keep, Ken MacLeod (Orbit UK, 2000; Tor)
      The Curse of Chalion, Lois McMaster Bujold (Eos)
      Passage, Connie Willis (Bantam)
      Perdido Street Station, China Miéville (Macmillan UK, 2000; Del Rey)

      NOVELLA
      "The Chief Designer", Andy Duncan (Asimov's Jun 2001)
      "The Diamond Pit", Jack Dann (Jubilee, Voyager Australia; F&SF Jun 2001)
      "Fast Times at Fairmont High", Vernor Vinge (The Collected Stories of
      Vernor Vinge, Tor)
      "May Be Some Time", Brenda W. Clough (Analog Apr 2001)
      "Stealing Alabama", Allen Steele (Asimov's Jan 2001)

      NOVELETTE
      "The Days Between", Allen Steele (Asimov's Mar 2001)
      "Hell Is the Absence of God", Ted Chiang (Starlight 3, Tor)
      "Lobsters", Charles Stross (Asimov's Jun 2001)
      "The Return of Spring", Shane Tourtellotte (Analog Nov 2001)
      "Undone", James Patrick Kelly (Asimov's Jun 2001)

      SHORT STORY
      "The Bones of the Earth", Ursula K. Le Guin (Tales from Earthsea, Harcourt)
      "The Dog Said Bow-Wow", Michael Swanwick (Asimov's Oct/Nov 2001)
      "The Ghost Pit", Stephen Baxter (Asimov's Jul 2001)
      "Old MacDonald Had a Farm", Mike Resnick (Asimov's Sep 2001)
      "Spaceships", Michael A. Burstein (Analog Jun 2001)

      RELATED BOOK
      The Art of Chesley Bonestell, Ron Miller & Frederick C. Durant III (Paper
      Tiger)
      The Art of Richard Powers, Jane Frank (Paper Tiger)
      Being Gardner Dozois, Michael Swanwick (Old Earth Books)
      I Have This Nifty Idea...Now What Do I Do With It?, Mike Resnick (Wildside
      Press)
      J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century, Tom Shippey (HarperCollins UK, 2000;
      Houghton Mifflin)
      Meditations on Middle-Earth, Karen Haber, ed. (St. Martin's)

      DRAMATIC PRESENTATION
      Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Once More, With Feeling" (Fox Television
      Studios/Mutant Enemy, Inc.; Written & Directed by Joss Whedon. Joss Whedon
      and Marti Noxon, Executive Producers.)
      Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (1492 Pictures/Heyday Films/Warner
      Bros.; Directed by Chris Columbus; Screenplay by Steven Kloves; David
      Heyman, Producer; Michael Barthan, Chris Columbus, Duncan Henderson & Mark
      Radcliff, Executive Producers.)
      The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (New Line Cinema/The Saul
      Zaentz Company/WingNut Films; Directed by Peter Jackson; Screenplay by Fran
      Walsh & Phillipa Boyens & Peter Jackson; Peter Jackson, Barrie M. Osborne
      and Tim Sanders, Producers; Michael Lynne, Mark Ordesky, Robert Shaye, Bob
      Weinstein and Harvey Weinstein, Executive Producers.)
      Monsters, Inc. (Pixar Animation Studios/Walt Disney Pictures; Directed by
      Pete Docter, David Silverman and Lee Unkrich. Story by Jill Culton, Peter
      Docter, Ralph Eggleston and Jeff Pidgeon. Darla K. Anderson, Producer. John
      Lasseter and Andrew Stanton, Executive Producers.)
      Shrek (DreamWorks SKG/Pacific Data Images; Directed by Andrew Adamson and
      Vicky Jenson. Written by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and Joe Stillman and
      Roger S.H. Schulman. Jeffrey Katzenberg, Aron Warner and John H. Williams,
      Producers. Penney Finkelman Cox and Sandra Rabins, Executive Producers.)

      PROFESSIONAL EDITOR
      Ellen Datlow
      Gardner Dozois
      Patrick Nielsen Hayden
      Stanley Schmidt
      Gordon Van Gelder

      PROFESSIONAL ARTIST
      Jim Burns
      Bob Eggleton
      Frank Kelly Freas
      Donato Giancola
      Michael Whelan

      SEMIPROZINE
      Absolute Magnitude, Warren Lapine, ed.
      Interzone, David Pringle, ed.
      Locus, Charles N. Brown, ed.
      The New York Review of Science Fiction, Kathryn Cramer, David G. Hartwell &
      Kevin J. Maroney, eds.
      Speculations, edited by Susan Fry, published by Kent Brewster

      FANZINE
      Ansible, Dave Langford, ed.
      Challenger, Guy Lillian III, ed.
      File 770, Mike Glyer, ed.
      Mimosa, Richard & Nicki Lynch, ed.
      Plokta, Alison Scott, Steve Davies & Mike Scott, eds.

      FAN WRITER
      Jeff Berkwits
      Bob Devney
      John L. Flynn
      Mike Glyer
      Dave Langford
      Steven H Silver

      FAN ARTIST
      Sheryl Birkhead
      Brad Foster
      Teddy Harvia
      Sue Mason
      Frank Wu

      WEB SITE
      Locus Online (www.locusmag.com), Mark R. Kelly, editor/webmaster
      SciFi.com (www.scifi.com), Craig Engler, general manager
      SF Site (www.sfsite.com), Rodger Turner, publisher/managing editor
      Strange Horizons (www.strangehorizons.com), Mary Anne Mohanraj,
      editor-in-chief
      Tangent Online (www.tangentonline.com), Dave Truesdale, senior editor;
      Tobias Buckell, webmaster

      JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER [Not a Hugo]
      Tobias S. Buckell (2nd year of eligibility)
      Alexander C. Irvine (2nd year of eligibility)
      Wen Spencer (1st year of eligibility)
      Jo Walton (2nd year of eligibility)
      Ken Wharton (1st year of eligibility)
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
        In a message dated 4/19/02 11:02:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > Please note

        And hooray also for Brenda Clough! (Novella category) who will probably be
        attending Nashville Mythcon. The work in question isn't fantasy, but she is
        a great friend of Lewis, and us. I enjoyed her "May Be Some Time" and
        believe it is to be expanded into a novel.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Pauline J. Alama
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
          Well, despite enjoying the Lord of the Rings movie thoroughly (while simultaneously nitpicking it in a small corner of my brain), I think I'd cast my Dramatic presentation vote for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode. Although on the whole the quality of the series has gone way, way, down this year, that musical episode was a really exceptional achievement, in the series' best tradition of creatively breaking the norms for various genres of entertainment.

          Pauline J. Alama
          THE EYE OF NIGHT
          (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 18, 2003
            This year's Hugo Award nominations, the World Science Fiction Convention's
            choices for best science fiction & fantasy of last year, have been
            announced. For a complete list, see:

            http://www.locusmag.com/2003/News/News04Log4.html

            Highlights from the mythopoeic-fantasy angle include both #2 LOTR and Harry
            Potter films, episodes from all three Joss Whedon tv series (Buffy the
            Vampire Slayer, Angel, and the sf/western Firefly), and - in the written
            fiction field - Neil Gaiman's Coraline in the Novella category.

            - David Bratman