The mistakes of being Michael Martinez (web design)

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., odzer@a... wrote:
      > Michael writes
      > >Get in the habit of doing it right the first time and every
      time...<
      > yow, I feel a bit intimidated by this admonishment, as I make all
      > too many mistakes in this life, but if it includes a sense of 'try
      > your best to get it right from start, being careless and then
      > backtracking to repair is a bad strategy' that is something I can
      > live with, and something for me to work towards.Obviously, you
      > employ it well

      I wouldn't say that at all. You have no idea of how many times I've
      slaved over a small page, looked at it carefully, examined everything
      again, and posted it...only to find I misspelled something, left out
      some important link, or otherwise made a complete fool of myself.
      Many times I have posted pages which looked good on my PC and ended
      up not appearing at all on the Web site.

      My mistakes have taught me to rely on automation as much as
      possible. At the very least, embarassing myself with simple typos is
      not nearly so humiliating as spending two days promoting a site no
      one can see.

      > >I manage over 100 Web sites, which cover more than 50,000 pages of
      > >content.
      >
      > WOW! Any suggestions in particular for us to visit? These are
      > covering many, many topics, I guess, and some you just manage for
      > others?

      In my self-appointed megalomania, I try to be all things to all
      people, although I have not written any hate-speech sites. No, they
      are mostly all my own. I do write a regular column for Suite101. My
      personal interests are many and varied, and I like to be creative.
      So I have created many Web sites. I've turned some of them over to
      other people, though.

      > ps looking at "Writing with Sources-A Guide for Harvard Students"
      > (published 1998, so perhas out of date?), I notice that it is
      > rather brief in its discussion of electronic sources, which topic
      > is discussed briefly on just 3 seperate pages out of 60 in all, and
      > also with the proviso that "conventions for listing electronic
      > references may not exist for some time..." However, this booklet is
      > concerned with when and how to use, and how to identify, and
      > incorporate anoth. It is not interested in commercial copyright
      > issues.

      I used to find many university Web sites with guidelines about what
      students could and/or should (or should not) include on their pages.
      I don't know if those sites are still out there.

      By and large, I would say that most of the Tolkien fan sites take
      extreme liberties with copyrights and trademarks, just as the
      majority of fan sites do for nearly all topics in science fiction and
      fantasy fandom.

      The sites least likely to violate trademarks and copyrights are those
      constructed by people with some experience in the trade and
      publishing practices: people who know the law well enough to set
      themselves barriers that, in Bombadilian fashion, they will not cross.

      I walk a fine line myself, and probably have crossed it a few times.
      But I try not to exceed the tolerances of the studios and publishing
      houses. Most of them seem to tolerate SOME unauthorized usage, but
      they'll come down hard on fan sites which they feel are being
      excessively liberal in their interpretations of "fair use".

      For years, the online fandom communities argued that their sites were
      helping to promote shows and books, and thus enriching the
      trademarked and copyrighted properties. While the legal communities
      of the affected industries have conceded some ground on this issue,
      they have remained vigilant against the dilution of their clients'
      rights.

      And I'm not convinced any real equilibrium has been reached.
      Unauthorized use of protected materials has reached epidemic
      proportions, and intellectual property rights are fast becoming
      caught between two polar extremes. One extreme is represented by the
      Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the other extreme is represented
      by freeform communities such as the Webmasters, the song-swappers,
      episode and movie archivists, and others.

      People like me, who both create and reuse content, are being squeezed
      in the middle. I don't want other people to benefit from my work
      without giving me some due credit (and compensation if they are
      making money). But I don't want to be priggish, either. My essays,
      for example, would not exist if it weren't for the work of others.
      And I wrote them mostly to share my thoughts with others, not to get
      rich. I have made some good money from my writing, but I do not
      support myself from it.

      I think everyone's perspective changes once they begin to focus on
      supporting themselves through their creative efforts.

      Well, I guess that's enough prattling. Perhaps I just made another
      mistake. That's me.

      Go me.