Re: [mythsoc] Re: Interesting website about C. S. Lewis

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 13, 2002
      In a message dated 4/11/02 11:28:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
      SusanPal@... writes:

      > In a message dated 4/11/2002 8:12:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      > mwinslow-sf@... writes:
      >
      > > I think that those who hold that fantasy is wrong because of the
      fantastic
      > > are
      > > those who take the Enlightenment epistemology as the /only/ epistemology
      --
      > > the only way of knowing truth. If so, they must also diminish, if not
      > > outright
      > > deny, much Christian thought that looks to other ways of knowing.
      > >

      > Yep. I, personally, refer to such folks as "metaphorically challenged."

      This is so true in my own faith - the Eastern Orthodox - which is very
      uninterested in "enlightenment" or "scholastic" approaches. We primarily
      seek to approach God by worship, and by purifying our hearts that we may see
      Him.

      Friday night we attended the service of the Akathist Hymn. The hymn, and
      the preceding Canon also sung at the service, are both poetic works directed
      to the praise of the Virgin Mary, the Theotokos.

      I began to think of the extravagance of metaphor with which this poem is
      saturated; indeed, it is mythic while at the same time being about Truth.

      Rejoice, Vine bringing forth an unwithering Branch;
      Rejoice, orchard of pure Fruit!
      Rejoice, for you tend the Husbandman, the Lover of mankind
      rejoice, for you bear the Gardener Who cultivates our life!
      Rejoice, earth yielding a rich harvest of compassion;
      rejoice, table laden with abundant mercy!
      Rejoice, for through you the fields of Eden flower once again;
      rejoice, for you make ready a haven for our souls!

      And in one verse, She is said to have "silenced the word-webs of the
      Athenians" and "left the philosophers as mute as gaping fish."

      And =all= of this, of course, would be considered the rankest heresy and
      idolatry by the Balaam's-Ass people.

      >< }}} : 0

      Diamond Proudbrook