Andreth and Estel

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2002
      At 04:47 PM 4/11/2002 , Margaret Dean wrote:

      >I've actually been chewing
      >over your question in response (Did Finrod get an answer to =his=
      >question, i.e. did Andreth's people have "estel" or not?); the
      >best I can come up with is that the answer is "No, yes, and
      >maybe" and takes up most of the rest of the Debate!

      And what's really remarkable about the Debate as a work of literature is
      the net of mystery and uncertainty that Tolkien successfully casts around
      what are, to everybody except poor Finrod, some of the most basic precepts
      of Judeo-Christian theology. I consider the Debate one of the greatest
      constituents of Tolkien's legendarium.

      David Bratman