"Wonder Women"

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8 11:36 AM
      Nice retrospective by Elizabeth Hand at

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62474-2002Apr4.html

      though I find her last paragraph nugatory. Why should a good writer be
      regarded by anyone as anything but, well, a good writer? And that's how I
      regard them. The future is now.

      It's like Denzel Washington's wonderful reply at the Academy Awards, when
      some journalist was saying to him, "Ah, when will the day come that the
      headlines do not read BLACK ACTOR WINS ACADEMY AWARD?"

      "You could do it," said Washington.

      "Huh?"

      "Put on =your= story: DENZEL WASHINGTON WINS ACADEMY AWARD," said Denzel.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9 9:03 AM
        In discussing the appearances of women writers in the Ballantine Adult
        Fantasy (Unicorn's Head) series, Hand mentions some of the women authors
        but not all. I believe that in fact all of the new books in that series
        were by women, not just Joy Chant's Red Moon and Black Mountain (actually a
        reprint, but of a then-new book) and Evangeline Walton's three later
        Mabinogion volumes, but also Sanders Anne Laubenthal's _Excalibur_ and the
        original Deryni trilogy of Katherine Kurtz.

        David Bratman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9 9:17 AM
          In a message dated 4/8/2002 2:41:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62474-2002Apr4.html

          The entire Book World section of _The Washington Post_ on Sunday was about
          science fiction and fantasy. It has lots of survey articles and lists of
          favorite books. Go to

          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/books/

          and you will see links to the articles from this section. (But do it quickly
          if you want to see it, since articles from _The Washington Post_ get shifted
          after two weeks to a section of the website that requires registration and
          costs money.)

        • Douglas A. Anderson
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10 8:53 AM
            David Bratman wrote:

            > In discussing the appearances of women writers in the Ballantine Adult
            > Fantasy (Unicorn's Head) series, Hand mentions some of the women authors
            > but not all. I believe that in fact all of the new books in that series
            > were by women, not just Joy Chant's Red Moon and Black Mountain (actually
            > reprint, but of a then-new book) and Evangeline Walton's three later
            > Mabinogion volumes, but also Sanders Anne Laubenthal's _Excalibur_ and the
            > original Deryni trilogy of Katherine Kurtz.

            Not quite, David, you're forgetting Poul Anderson's Hrolf Kraki's Saga, the
            two-in-one volume Double Phoenix, with novellas by Edmund Cooper and Roger
            Lancelyn Green, and (if a new translation counts) the Richard Hodgens
            Orlando Furioso. But you have listed all of the new books in the series by
            women.

            Doug A.