Re: [mythsoc] audio recordings

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2002
      Wendell wrote:

      >> So, does anyone have concrete info or even speculations as to why no other
      >> recordings were ever made?
      >
      >You are aware, aren't you, that the only recordings of Tolkien reading from
      >his works were made in 1952 by George Sayer?

      The only recordings of his works, that is, that have been made commercially
      available, apart from the earlier Caedmon album _Poems and Songs of Middle
      Earth_ (and still more from this session on the new Caedmon _J.R.R. Tolkien
      Audio Collection_ CDs). Tolkien also recorded, privately, complete with
      sound effects, _The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth_, which was issued on cassette
      by HarperCollins as a gift to those attending Christopher Tolkien's address
      at the Tolkien Centenary Conference (but not commercially). Nor --
      addressing the wider question -- do we know in fact that no other
      recordings were made. I suspect that the tapes made at George Sayer's house
      contained more, and that Tolkien privately recorded more, but have never
      been able to get more information about this.

      Wayne Hammond