More About Audio Recordings

  • Marianne Dole
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2002
      Hello,

      I too was deeply moved when I first heard Tolkien's voice on a recording.
      This was back in the sixties when the LP came out with William Elvin
      (spelling) singing Tolkien's verses. Later, I got the LP of Tolkien reading
      from LotR etc., and, when it came out, that of Christopher Tolkien reading
      from Sil.

      Speaking of recordings, I just finished Recorded Books version of LotR a
      couple of weeks ago. For the most part, I thought it was excellent, but
      there was one thing I didn't like--the singing. For me, this broke the flow;
      also, musically, I found some of the songs oddly unresolved. For the most
      part, however, I was delighted with the recording. The narrator obviously
      did a lot of research (pronunciation etc. and the characterizations were
      consistent. You could always tell who was speaking. I found two passages
      especially affecting--the praise of the Ring-bearers on the Field of
      Cormallin (I hope I spelled that right), which brought tears to my eyes, and
      Arwen's cry: "Estel, Estel!" as she stands beside Aragorn's bier. I did
      wonder why Recorded Books decided to record The Annals of the Kings and
      Rulers as a separate book, though. I guess, since they weren't going to
      produce the rest of the appendices, they decided to do at least one in its
      entirety.

      Marianne Dole