MFA nominees

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2002
      I haven't begun Perdido Street Station. I'm not looking forward to it with much hope because of a quote from Mieville that a member of one of my other listservs has in her signature line, which sounds snooty and cynical. I'm sort of torn between feeling I should give a fair chance to authors whose views are very different from mine, and feeling that our subjective judgement is all we have to bring to this contest, and there is simply no putting aside personal bias in deciding which book is worthy of an award.

      As for the nominees of questionable genre -- one of the issues I was trying to raise in my earlier post on Willis's _Passage_ was how we define the category of "mythopoeic fantasy." Which, I guess, leads to a second question: how heavily do we weigh "category fit" in judging the awards? Would we vote for something we felt didn't fit the category if it were outstanding enough?

      Pauline J. Alama
      THE EYE OF NIGHT
      (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)
      "Indeed, all creation groans and is in labor, even until now."

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2002
        PJAlama@... writes:

        > quote from Mieville that a member of one of my other listservs has in her
        > signature line, which sounds snooty and cynical.

        That is how Mieville's posts on the IAFA-L list sounded to me. And the book
        is apparently a big urban grunge scene, not my favorite type of fantasy. I
        probably won't get to it - and don't have to, since I am not on the committee.

        Diamond Proudbrook