Re: 1st edition Silmarillion

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Matt Williams" <williamm@m...> wrote:
      > Hi:
      >
      > Over the weekend I acquired an English edition of the
      Silmarrillion. Is
      > there a web site that shows me how to identify this as a first
      edition. The
      > ISBN is right, the color of the binding is right. Are there errata
      that I
      > should look for?

      I know of two collector sites which specialize in Tolkien
      merchandise. Unfortunately, I have not yet committed Wayne Hammond's
      site to memory. I think the URL may be in this list's archive, or
      perhaps he'll see this thread and respond.

      The other site would be http://www.tolkiencollector.com/ and it's run
      by Mike Williams. I don't know if he posts identifying information
      regarding 1st edition books.

      You should keep in mind, however, that there was a HUGE print run for
      THE SILMARILLION when it was first published. I pre-ordered a copy 3
      weeks in advance in 1977 and was told at that time that 750,000
      copies were being printed for the first run.

      An ILLUSTRATED SILMARILLION (published in the 1990s, with
      illustrations by Ted Nasmith) is probably worth more than a 1st
      edition, 1st printing of THE SILMARILLION.

      The 2nd edition came out only last year or the year before. It
      contains a brief note or something in the front, I believe. I wasn't
      impressed with it at all and have not yet bought a copy.

      The dust jacket for 1st edition books will be white and contain a
      picture (jagged sharp lines) drawn by Tolkien of some mountains, I
      think. I'm at work and cannot check my books to make sure.
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
        Michael wrote:

        >I know of two collector sites which specialize in Tolkien
        >merchandise. Unfortunately, I have not yet committed Wayne Hammond's
        >site to memory. I think the URL may be in this list's archive, or
        >perhaps he'll see this thread and respond.

        My and my wife's site includes a page devoted to Christina's occasional
        magazine _The Tolkien Collector_ (the URL is
        http://lanfiles.williams.edu/~whammond/collect.html) but not points of
        Tolkien bibliography. For that, Matt will want to consult my _J.R.R.
        Tolkien: A Descriptive Bibliography_ (St Paul's Bibliographies and Oak
        Knoll Books, 1993). I've planned for a long time to post on our site the
        addenda and corrigenda to my Bibliography that have appeared in the
        _Tolkien Collector_ but have been otherwise occupied, and may not do so now
        that Oak Knoll Press have agreed to publish a second edition of the book in
        2004, much enlarged, corrected, and revised.

        >The other site would be http://www.tolkiencollector.com/ and it's run
        >by Mike Williams. I don't know if he posts identifying information
        >regarding 1st edition books.

        No, he doesn't. Mainly he provides links, especially click-throughs to
        Amazon.com. There was once someone who posted Tolkien bibliography points
        on the Web, stealing freely from my book while introducing many
        inaccuracies, but the site died months ago.

        >The dust jacket for 1st edition books will be white and contain a
        >picture (jagged sharp lines) drawn by Tolkien of some mountains, I
        >think. I'm at work and cannot check my books to make sure.

        You're thinking of the first American edition. Matt said that he bought the
        British edition. Of that, basically if it doesn't say on the copyright page
        that it's a later printing, it's a first. But there were binding variants,
        and actually two first printings, by different printers, one for the
        domestic market and one for export, all of which are detailed in the
        Bibliography. None of this should have any effect on value, despite what
        some booksellers would like to have us believe, as everything was published
        simultaneously. The value of first British and first American
        _Silmarillion_s however has been rising lately, along with Tolkien prices
        in general. The Nasmith _Silmarillion_ in its limited edition is indeed
        worth more than the first trade edition, but the trade edition of the
        Nasmith is still to be found in shops so has not appreciated.

        Wayne