Re: RE: [mythsoc] recommendation: Bujold's Curse of Chalion

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2002
      In a message dated 4/3/2 5:12:59 PM, Diane wrote:

      <<And I'd like to know who put *Ship of the Damned* on list. Not bad, but
      seems more like straight action-oriented fiction; of course I only took a
      short look; it's in paper, and I may well buy it to give it a more detailed
      look>>

      I was also puzzled by _A Finer End_, which seems like straight detective
      fiction, albeit with some neat old lore woven into the plot.
      Some of the nominees are really parts of longer multi-volume stories and
      shouldn't have been nominated until the story was complete: _The Merlin of
      the Oak Wood_ is the second volume of just such an unfinished series, and
      (much as I like Sean Russell's writing), _The One Kingdom_ is only the
      beginning of a longer work, _The Swans' War_.
      Alexei
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2002
        In a message dated 4/4/02 11:16:25 AM Central Standard Time, alexeik@...
        writes:

        > Some of the nominees are really parts of longer multi-volume stories and
        > shouldn't have been nominated until the story was complete: _The Merlin of
        > the Oak Wood_ is the second volume of just such an unfinished series

        Well, I read it and felt it was self-contained to a sufficient degree...

        I didn't =like= it very much though.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Jane Bigelow
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2002
          At 08:06 AM 4/2/02 -0500, you wrote:

          >& thoughtful response, but not the lively multi-voiced discussion I might
          >have hoped for), I'd like to draw people's attention to a very exciting
          >nominee, Lois McMaster Bujold's _The Curse of Chalion_. This has become, in
          >my mind, the book by which all other nominees will be measured. [I will try
          >not to include any plot spoilers, for the sake of list members who have not
          >read it.]

          Thank you, and thanks for the recommendation! So far, I'm not doing well
          with the MFA nominees that I hadn't already read; this sounds like a good
          possibility. I've read a number of Bujold's other books--I think I must
          have skipped this one because I was annoyed with it for not being the next
          Vorkosigan novel. Several of her titles have left me with pieces of
          self-knowledge, not always welcome ones. For me, Bujold is a writer to
          read at least twice: once just to follow the action, and once to see how
          she *did* that.

          I don't understand quite why _A Finer End_ was nominated, either. I
          enjoyed it very much, and have begun reading Crombie's other books, but I
          didn't find it mythopoeic. The musical element and the supernatural *were*
          nicely joined.

          I have tried to read _Perdido Street Station_, and I think I'll just give
          up. It's certainly powerful writing, but my reading time is too limited to
          spend more of it reading something that repels me so thoroughly. These
          characters are lost, all right.

          Jane Bigelow