MFA Nominees

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 1:40 PM
      I just finished Sarah A. Hoyt's ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT but found it
      disappointing: =great= idea, so-so execution.

      The fairy castle is like the one TH White also borrowed from Celtic folklore
      for a chapter of ONCE AND FUTURE KING - made of milk or butter or something.
      The fairies are wonderful, and young Will Shakespeare is an appealing
      character - and he does love his wife Nan very much, in spite of all that
      business about the second-best bed.

      Personally I'd be very surprised if the award went to anything other than one
      of these two: Powers' DECLARE or Le Guin's OTHER WIND.

      Have not read the Bujold yet.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Pauline J. Alama
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 2:13 PM
        I was also disappointed by ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT. When you put Shakespeare into your fiction as a character, you raise expectations for the quality of the writing, and I didn't feel this book satisfied those expectations.

        Pauline J. Alama, Ph.D.