Star Wars vs. Star Trek

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12 7:57 PM
      >I think I am about to open a can of worms that cannot easily be shut again.
      >I propose that the Star Trek legacy i.e. Star Trek TNG, Star Trek DS9, with
      >the possible exception of the original series (then again maybe not) and
      >definitely with the exception of Star Trek Voyager is better than the Star
      >Wars series.

      I hereby declare this off topic for this list. Please do not pursue it.

      Thank you.
      Joan
      List Administrator

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12 8:49 PM
        At 8:27 PM -0500 8/12/99, rspeer wrote:
        > I think reality is the deciding factor. I think if
        >Mankind does survive for thousands of years to come, the future would most
        >likely resemble the future in Star Trek.

        Boggle. No, if we survive that long, the future will likely resemble
        Babylon 5, Nighwatch, Home Guard, President Clark and all.

        ======================================
        It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
        ======================================
      • Matthew Heffron
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13 7:47 PM
          The essential problem with your logic as presented is that you miss the
          point of Star Wars. You refer to reality and what Mankind will do in a few
          thousand years. Of course Star Trek portrays this better, but Star Wars
          never set out to. Remember the line, "A long time ago, is a galaxy far, far
          away ...."? Star Trek is realistic sci-fi, maybe, but Star Wars is certainly
          fantasy, and not at all intended to be realistic in the sense of what the
          future will look like. The two are in different genres and ought not to be
          compared. Personally, I prefer the style of Star Wars, but that is partly
          just because I prefer the genre. I also think Star Wars is a great
          mythopoeic creation - it forms a whole mythology and a great story line. But
          it is not the same category as Star Trek.

          Matt H.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14 7:06 AM
            On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 10:49:22PM -0500, Steve Schaper wrote:
            > From: Steve Schaper <sschaper@...>
            >
            > At 8:27 PM -0500 8/12/99, rspeer wrote:
            > > I think reality is the deciding factor. I think if
            > >Mankind does survive for thousands of years to come, the future would most
            > >likely resemble the future in Star Trek.

            I don't think that's exactly a proper basis for comparison between
            Star Trek and Star Wars, since Star Trek's premise is that it describes
            our future, and Star Wars' premise is that it describes our past.
            You know, the whole "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" thing.

            Personally, I enjoy the two series in different ways. Star Trek is
            a futuristic vision, a picture of how we might live centuries from now.
            Star Wars is more of a scifi fairy tale, in my opinion. It starts
            out with the equivalent of "Once upon a time." The weapon of choice
            is the light saber, one which combines technology with chivalry and
            great personal skill.

            On a lighter note, if you think our future will resemble Star Trek,
            and you appreciate Dilbert, Scott Adams' book, _The Dilbert Future_
            has an amusing chapter on why the future will not be like Star Trek. :)