1st edition Silmarillion

  • Matt Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
      Hi:

      Over the weekend I acquired an English edition of the Silmarrillion. Is
      there a web site that shows me how to identify this as a first edition. The
      ISBN is right, the color of the binding is right. Are there errata that I
      should look for?

      The book is in great shape, but has some writing in the front that says,
      "Love Barb 77"

      Matthew R. Williams
      Library Director
      Watertown Public Library
      Watertown, WI

      "For those of you who like this kind of a book,
      this is the kind of book you will like."
      Abraham Lincoln
    • michael_martinez2
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "Matt Williams" <williamm@m...> wrote:
        > Hi:
        >
        > Over the weekend I acquired an English edition of the
        Silmarrillion. Is
        > there a web site that shows me how to identify this as a first
        edition. The
        > ISBN is right, the color of the binding is right. Are there errata
        that I
        > should look for?

        I know of two collector sites which specialize in Tolkien
        merchandise. Unfortunately, I have not yet committed Wayne Hammond's
        site to memory. I think the URL may be in this list's archive, or
        perhaps he'll see this thread and respond.

        The other site would be http://www.tolkiencollector.com/ and it's run
        by Mike Williams. I don't know if he posts identifying information
        regarding 1st edition books.

        You should keep in mind, however, that there was a HUGE print run for
        THE SILMARILLION when it was first published. I pre-ordered a copy 3
        weeks in advance in 1977 and was told at that time that 750,000
        copies were being printed for the first run.

        An ILLUSTRATED SILMARILLION (published in the 1990s, with
        illustrations by Ted Nasmith) is probably worth more than a 1st
        edition, 1st printing of THE SILMARILLION.

        The 2nd edition came out only last year or the year before. It
        contains a brief note or something in the front, I believe. I wasn't
        impressed with it at all and have not yet bought a copy.

        The dust jacket for 1st edition books will be white and contain a
        picture (jagged sharp lines) drawn by Tolkien of some mountains, I
        think. I'm at work and cannot check my books to make sure.
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
          Michael wrote:

          >I know of two collector sites which specialize in Tolkien
          >merchandise. Unfortunately, I have not yet committed Wayne Hammond's
          >site to memory. I think the URL may be in this list's archive, or
          >perhaps he'll see this thread and respond.

          My and my wife's site includes a page devoted to Christina's occasional
          magazine _The Tolkien Collector_ (the URL is
          http://lanfiles.williams.edu/~whammond/collect.html) but not points of
          Tolkien bibliography. For that, Matt will want to consult my _J.R.R.
          Tolkien: A Descriptive Bibliography_ (St Paul's Bibliographies and Oak
          Knoll Books, 1993). I've planned for a long time to post on our site the
          addenda and corrigenda to my Bibliography that have appeared in the
          _Tolkien Collector_ but have been otherwise occupied, and may not do so now
          that Oak Knoll Press have agreed to publish a second edition of the book in
          2004, much enlarged, corrected, and revised.

          >The other site would be http://www.tolkiencollector.com/ and it's run
          >by Mike Williams. I don't know if he posts identifying information
          >regarding 1st edition books.

          No, he doesn't. Mainly he provides links, especially click-throughs to
          Amazon.com. There was once someone who posted Tolkien bibliography points
          on the Web, stealing freely from my book while introducing many
          inaccuracies, but the site died months ago.

          >The dust jacket for 1st edition books will be white and contain a
          >picture (jagged sharp lines) drawn by Tolkien of some mountains, I
          >think. I'm at work and cannot check my books to make sure.

          You're thinking of the first American edition. Matt said that he bought the
          British edition. Of that, basically if it doesn't say on the copyright page
          that it's a later printing, it's a first. But there were binding variants,
          and actually two first printings, by different printers, one for the
          domestic market and one for export, all of which are detailed in the
          Bibliography. None of this should have any effect on value, despite what
          some booksellers would like to have us believe, as everything was published
          simultaneously. The value of first British and first American
          _Silmarillion_s however has been rising lately, along with Tolkien prices
          in general. The Nasmith _Silmarillion_ in its limited edition is indeed
          worth more than the first trade edition, but the trade edition of the
          Nasmith is still to be found in shops so has not appreciated.

          Wayne