Is This Apocryphal

  • Marianne Dole
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hello,

      A friend told me that there is an audio version of The Silmarillion. Is this
      true, or just an "urban myth," not to be confused with a true myth. David
      Bratman and Jo Wilcox (as she was then) read it to me just after its
      publication (and a monumental task for them that was!). When those tapes
      wore out, I got it from the National Library Service, which does the talking
      book program for the blind, and, although the reader was competent, he was,
      well, just competent. Sounded like he read it because it was assigned, not
      because he liked mythology. So, if there is an audio version, could someone
      please tell me what company does it? Thank you.

      Marianne Dole
    • Janet Croft
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
        There's an unabridged 14 hour version published by Bantam Books and read by
        Martin Shaw. It gets 4.5 stars on Amazon (out of 5), but that doesn't help
        much because they give audio versions of books the same rankings as the
        books themselves, without taking into consideration that fact that a poor
        performance can ruin the best book! The editorial comment says "thrillingly
        read", however, so maybe it's okay. The first part is also available as an
        audio download from Amazon.

        Janet Croft
        A friend told me that there is an audio version of The Silmarillion. Is
        this
        true, or just an "urban myth," not to be confused with a true myth. David
        Bratman and Jo Wilcox (as she was then) read it to me just after its
        publication (and a monumental task for them that was!). When those tapes
        wore out, I got it from the National Library Service, which does the
        talking
        book program for the blind, and, although the reader was competent, he
        was,
        well, just competent. Sounded like he read it because it was assigned, not
        because he liked mythology. So, if there is an audio version, could
        someone
        please tell me what company does it? Thank you.

        Marianne Dole

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor