Re: Celeborn Query

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 8:18 AM
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
      > SusanPal@a... wrote:
      >
      > > Question: at the end of RotK, Celeborn says to Aragorn, "May
      your doom be
      > > other than mine, and your treasure remain with you to the end!"
      Is this
      > > explained in the "Celeborn and Galadriel" section of Unfinished
      Tales?

      > I presume Celeborn's referring to the fact that Galadriel planned
      to go
      > over the sea to Valinor while he remained in Middle-Earth.

      Yes. Galadriel, as a former Ring-bearer, had to leave Middle-earth.
      Celeborn was still unwilling to sail over Sea, which would be an
      irrevocable step for any Elf.

      Celeborn's statement is interesting, now that I think about it. When
      Aragorn tells Arwen to take ship, she says there is no ship which can
      take her now. And we generally accept that is because she has chosen
      to be mortal and has given up her place to Frodo and Bilbo (and
      Sam). But was Celeborn making an oblique reference to Mithrellas,
      who married Imrazor the Numenorean, bore him two children, and then
      left him one night (presumably to sail over Sea)?

      I guess a lot of that depends on how far Tolkien had gotten in
      developing the backstory for Imrahil at the time he wrote "Many
      Partings". Mithrellas may not yet have emerged. But Celeborn's
      statement raises some interesting possibilities.

      He started out as a Silvan Elf, in JRRT's conception, according to
      Christopher Tolkien. By the second edition he had become a Sinda of
      Doriath. And by 1973 Tolkien was thinking of Celeborn as a Teler of
      Alqualonde. This last conception is awkward because Tolkien had
      previously established that the Eldar did not marry their first
      cousins, and because Celeborn's reluctance to leave Middle-earth
      becomes inexplicable.

      At least as a Sinda or Silvan Elf Celeborn had a reason to be
      reluctant to leave Middle-earth.

      He is one of the most difficult characters to analyze because his
      history (and Galadriel's) changed so much through Tolkien's lifetime.