Modernism

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2002
      In a message dated 3/28/02 4:18:06 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      << I
      just read the article on Robinson Jeffers, and I don't see the comparison
      with Tolkien. Could you be more specific? >>

      Hi Wendell,

      Oh, not comparison between the two people, rather between two sets of ideas
      about modernism, and because they are also different ideas, perhaps
      interesting to consider. There was brief discussion of a coherent and, I
      thought persuasive set of ideas which seem to underlie Jeffers criticism of
      modernism, and some of those themes Tolkien has explored as well albeit with
      different focus and conclusions. Is that clearer? Maybe less confusing if I
      just left Tolkien's name out of it and merely pointed out-there are
      interesting attitudes/ feeling for the problems of modernism which are
      explored in Robinson Jeffers poetry. Of course the two men had deeply
      opposing views about Religion, and were quite different in their personal and
      intellectual style. Maybe just to say both of them (they are roughly
      contemporary in age too) had a sense of the subtle impact of modernism, and
      how it can alter our sense of time, of ourselves, each other, of our world,
      of God/ Meaning of Life. To say more I would have to cite specific passages/
      ideas from the article, which I will if you think it would be interesting. As
      for Tolkien I recall, as do others, reading numerous direct and indirect
      comments on the subject of modernism in his letters and in his mythologies,
      both humorous and sad. Perhaps 'modernism' is an overly general word anyway,
      if not predefined for this discussion!
      Did you like the poetry/ enjoy the article? I also like Charles Simic
      alot, so am interested in what he has to say.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2002
        In a message dated 3/28/2002 9:03:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, odzer@...
        writes:

        > Did you like the poetry/ enjoy the article? I also like Charles Simic
        > alot, so am interested in what he has to say.

        I don't know enough about poetry to make any significant comment on it.
        There's so much in _The New York Review of Books_ that I can't possibly read
        it all, and one of the things I usually skip are review of poetry books.