Re: Myth Soc list query--Moons

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28 6:36 AM
      The correspondence with the years 1941-42 was established by
      Christopher Tolkien in volume VII of _The History of Middle-earth_:

      "Either while the making of Time-scheme I was in progress or at some later
      point my father wrote at the head of the first page of it: _Moons are after
      1941-2 + 6 days_. He changed this to _+ 5 days_, and added: _thus Full Moon
      Jan. 2 is Jan. 7_... The phases ... are ... regularly five days later than
      those of 1941-2." (p. 369)

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |