Re: [mythsoc] o/Best Song Oscar

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2002
      From: <dianejoy@...>

      > And not even those; what most upset me is that Randy Newman got the award
      for best song, and his the worst of the offerings. Cute, yes, but come on!
      Any of the others would have been a better song, but I'm sure they gave
      Newman the award because he'd been up for an Oscar 16 times, and hadn't won
      anything.

      I totally disagree. I thought his the only one worth listening to, and I
      watched the segment twice. (I taped the Oscars since I was going to be out
      for part of it. I was watching the tape when David came home so we both
      watched that part together.)

      The songs:
      1. Sting's "Until" -- totally forgettable. Pleasant, but very reminiscent
      of too many other things. It struck me as Jacques Brel meets Harry Chapin.
      2. Enya -- even more forgettable. Watching her sing with her incredibly
      tight jaw, I realized that her sound is a tremolo from tension, not just all
      the studio enhancements she uses. Because she never opens or moves her
      mouth, you can't make out most of what she says.
      3. Randy Newman -- lousy singer Randy, but a cute song. I love John
      Goodman. Not a great voice but great style.
      4. Faith Hill singing Diane Warren -- again, really forgettable. Hill is a
      good singer but I couldn't remember the song even after the second hearing.
      5. Paul McCartney's "Vanilla Sky" -- my second choice. I wish he'd dressed
      up a little more while singing it. What I liked most about the song, I
      think, was the choice of recorder to go with the guitars. And it was
      catchy. Probably a better song than movie.

      Berni