Re: [mythsoc] Best Supporting Actor

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27 10:28 AM
      In a message dated 3/27/2002 12:23:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      dianejoy@... writes:

      > Are we certain that it's *Fellowship that Glazer was referring to? It
      might have been
      > another film.

      Yes, it might have been, but most of the articles I read predicting the
      Oscars said that _The Fellowship of the Ring_ was probably running second to
      _A Beautiful Mind_ in the voting.

      > They seemed to carefully parcel out a little bit of honor to a scattered
      number of
      > films; none swept the Academy off their feet.

      And that strikes me as a good summary of this year's films. _Memento_ might
      have been the best of this year's films, but it wasn't even nominated for
      Best Picture. It was this year's "Well, let's just nominate it for Best
      Screenplay. It didn't make enough money, so we can't actually nominate it
      for Best Picture, but we can give it some minor award" film. _The Fellowship
      of the Ring_ went a long way toward getting the feel of the book, but not all
      the way. I thought those two films were the two best of the year. And then
      there was _Moulin Rouge_ - very original, but maybe not quite successful. _A
      Beautiful Mind_ was this year's big-budget feel-good film. Given all the
      distortions it made in Nash's life, I thought it was no better than the
      fourth best film of the year. (And that's typical, I think. The film that
      wins the Oscar tends to be one that I would rank around fourth or fifth best
      for the year.)