Re: March 25

  • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27, 2002
      I'm not certain that March 25 had to have anything to do with the movable
      feast of Easter. In Petrarch's sonnets to Laura, no. 31, he indicates that
      he first saw her on the day of the crucifixion; elsewhere, he gives the
      date as 6 April 1327, a Monday. Evidently, someone had tried to work out
      the date of Jesus's death according the calendar--that is, in the year
      Jesus originally died, 6 April was a Friday. Who knows how many schemes
      there were floating around in the Middle Ages/early Renaissance for dating
      the events of the New Testament?

      --Joe
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
        Happy Unmaking-of-the-Ring Day, everybody! Down with Sauron! Up with
        Elessar! The eagles are coming, the eagles are coming!

        Woo-hoo!

        Happy Spring,
        Susan

      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
          I have always thought of it as "Downfall Day".

          On Mar 25, 2004, at 6:42 PM, SusanPal@... wrote:

          > Happy Unmaking-of-the-Ring Day, everybody! Down with Sauron! Up with
          > Elessar! The eagles are coming, the eagles are coming!
          >
          > Woo-hoo!
          >
          > Happy Spring,
          > Susan
        • Mari Dole
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
            Yes indeed!

            Mari

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
              In old England it was called "Lady Day." In church terms, it was and still
              is the Feast of the Annunciation, precisely nine months before Christmas, when
              the Angel brought the tidings unto Mary and she said, "Be it unto me according
              to thy word.".

              For awhile, in England, it was the official start of a new year.

              Happy spring indeed, to everyone (unless anyone here is living Down Under?)

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • ravenduongladash
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
                > In old England it was called "Lady Day." In church terms, it was
                and still
                > is the Feast of the Annunciation, precisely nine months before
                Christmas, when
                > the Angel brought the tidings unto Mary and she said, "Be it unto
                me according
                > to thy word.".
                >
                > For awhile, in England, it was the official start of a new year.
                >
                > Happy spring indeed, to everyone (unless anyone here is living Down
                Under?)

                This time of the year is a mixed blessing for those of us down-
                under. It means a relief from the blistering temperatures of summer
                (40 degC +) and a slide into the bliss of autumn until it is jumper
                time for winter. At least of those of us in Brisbane which is
                located in the subtropics. So we too celebrate this time :-)

                caio
                Graeme
              • Larry Swain
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
                  In addition, March 25 was also considered in some quarters the creation of light and darkness in Genesis 1 (the Vernal equinox being the first day of creation in this scheme), (and so the first day of the year, one can not count time without the sun, moon, and stars, so counting time begins on the fourth day), the day of the Fall,the day of Annunciation, and the actual day that Christ died. Tollers was aware of all this and made use of it in LoTR--it is no secret that the overthrow of Sauron and the overthrow of Satan would then both occur on March 25, and be New Year's Day as a result, when Light Overcomes Darkness. I think Tolkien mentioned it in the Letters somewhere.....

                  Larry Swain

                  > > In old England it was called "Lady Day." In church terms, it was
                  > and still
                  > > is the Feast of the Annunciation, precisely nine months before
                  > Christmas, when
                  > > the Angel brought the tidings unto Mary and she said, "Be it unto
                  > me according
                  > > to thy word.".
                  > >
                  > > For awhile, in England, it was the official start of a new year.
                  > >
                  > > Happy spring indeed, to everyone (unless anyone here is living Down
                  > Under?)
                  >
                  > This time of the year is a mixed blessing for those of us down-
                  > under. It means a relief from the blistering temperatures of summer
                  > (40 degC +) and a slide into the bliss of autumn until it is jumper
                  > time for winter. At least of those of us in Brisbane which is
                  > located in the subtropics. So we too celebrate this time :-)
                  >
                  > caio
                  > Graeme

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

                  Powered by Outblaze
                • John C. Meyers
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
                    <lurk off />

                    I was just looking up this data a couple of days ago.

                    Tom Shippey mentions most of this in JRRT:AotC, page 208.
                    He also talks about the English new year being the 25th of March until
                    the Gregorian calendar reforms of 1752. Further, the English year still
                    begins on the 6th of April--for taxes only though.

                    I don't know the reference in _Letters_.

                    John
                    Magna est veritas et praevalebit

                    <lurk on />

                    Larry Swain wrote:
                    > In addition, March 25 was also considered in some quarters the creation of light and darkness in Genesis 1 (the Vernal equinox being the first day of creation in this scheme), (and so the first day of the year, one can not count time without the sun, moon, and stars, so counting time begins on the fourth day), the day of the Fall,the day of Annunciation, and the actual day that Christ died. Tollers was aware of all this and made use of it in LoTR--it is no secret that the overthrow of Sauron and the overthrow of Satan would then both occur on March 25, and be New Year's Day as a result, when Light Overcomes Darkness. I think Tolkien mentioned it in the Letters somewhere.....
                    >
                    > Larry Swain
                    >

                    >>>In old England it was called "Lady Day." In church terms, it was
                    >>
                    >>and still
                    >>
                    >>>is the Feast of the Annunciation, precisely nine months before
                    >>
                    >>Christmas, when
                    >>
                    >>>the Angel brought the tidings unto Mary and she said, "Be it unto
                    >>
                    >>me according
                    >>
                    >>>to thy word.".
                    >>>
                    >>>For awhile, in England, it was the official start of a new year.
                    >>>
                    >>>Happy spring indeed, to everyone (unless anyone here is living Down
                    >>
                    >>Under?)
                    >>
                    >>This time of the year is a mixed blessing for those of us down-
                    >>under. It means a relief from the blistering temperatures of summer
                    >>(40 degC +) and a slide into the bliss of autumn until it is jumper
                    >>time for winter. At least of those of us in Brisbane which is
                    >>located in the subtropics. So we too celebrate this time :-)
                    >>
                    >>caio
                    >>Graeme

                    >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Larry Swain
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
                      That's cuz Tom's a medievalist and Anglo-Saxonist, such calendrical discussions are our bread and butter.

                      ljs

                      > <lurk off />
                      >
                      > I was just looking up this data a couple of days ago.
                      >
                      > Tom Shippey mentions most of this in JRRT:AotC, page 208.
                      > He also talks about the English new year being the 25th of March until
                      > the Gregorian calendar reforms of 1752. Further, the English year still
                      > begins on the 6th of April--for taxes only though.
                      >
                      > I don't know the reference in _Letters_.
                      >
                      > John
                      > Magna est veritas et praevalebit
                      >
                      > <lurk on />
                      >
                      > Larry Swain wrote:
                      > > In addition, March 25 was also considered in some quarters the creation of light and darkness in Genesis 1 (the Vernal equinox being the first day of creation in this scheme), (and so the first day of the year, one can not count time without the sun, moon, and stars, so counting time begins on the fourth day), the day of the Fall,the day of Annunciation, and the actual day that Christ died. Tollers was aware of all this and made use of it in LoTR--it is no secret that the overthrow of Sauron and the overthrow of Satan would then both occur on March 25, and be New Year's Day as a result, when Light Overcomes Darkness. I think Tolkien mentioned it in the Letters somewhere.....
                      > >
                      > > Larry Swain

                      > >>and still

                      > >>Christmas, when

                      > >>me according

                      > >>Under?)
                      > >>
                      > >>This time of the year is a mixed blessing for those of us down-
                      > >>under. It means a relief from the blistering temperatures of summer
                      > >>(40 degC +) and a slide into the bliss of autumn until it is jumper
                      > >>time for winter. At least of those of us in Brisbane which is
                      > >>located in the subtropics. So we too celebrate this time :-)
                      > >>
                      > >>caio
                      > >>Graeme
                      > >>

                      > >>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
                      > >>Yahoo! Groups Links