Re: [mythsoc] Happy V.M. Day

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 27, 2002
      From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 5:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Happy V.M. Day

      >By the way, on the two websites I went to the only fixed date they showed for
      Easter was March 27. Though they did comment that different groups had set the
      date differently and that's why there have been many conflicting rulings on it.

      This note from Lisa, and Michael's comments, fit together probably as much as can be expected what with going back to old dates, old calendars, old practices, etc. The fixed date for Easter on March 27 would, of course, get us back to Good Friday on March 25. As has been said, there are few coincidences in Tolkien (and this one would seem especially unlikely). The "co-incidence" of these variations from different calendars makes it even more intriguing; one calendar celebrating March 25 as Good Friday and another celebrating it as Easter would make it the ideal date for the "downfall of evil." Add that to the Incarnation (and the "setting out" on Christmas) and you have the entire life of Christ and most of Christian belief.

      This could almost get me started on the slippery slope into allegory, but, as in trying that with any aspect of Tolkien's writings, it's not too long before I start running into trees... Thank goodness; it's so much more interesting his way.

      --Trudy