Moulin Rouge/Iris Murdoch/Robinson Jeffers

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26 11:24 AM
      Well, I will certainly give the film another chance, encouraged by the
      positive reviews here.Itseems likely that my initial impression may evolve
      and improve considerably.Yet I am even more eager to see the films Iris, and
      Monster's Ball.
      I recall reading in one of JRRT's letters that he mentions having
      received a fan letter from Iris Murdoch, which pleased him considerably.
      Just to mention, the most recent issue of "The New York Review of Books"
      has an article by Charles Simic about the work of the poet Robinson Jeffers,
      which is fascinating, check it out if you have an opportunity. Jeffers wrote
      unusual, powerful verse exploring the timeless resonances of the natural
      world.The selections Simic includes in the article which I read yesterday
      flew like swooping hawks into a deep place, and there they remain still
      today, staring back at me with unblinking eyes.
      Jeffers has a deep suspicion of modernism and a sense for the abiding
      mythos of being which reminds one of similar insights and values expressed by
      Tolkien (though they were in other ways quite disimilar, I should add.)
      Anyone else here a big fan of New York Review of Books? It is a real
      treasure.Here is their site,btw http://www.nybooks.com/

      John
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27 2:45 PM
        In a message dated 3/26/2002 2:37:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, odzer@...
        writes:

        > Just to mention, the most recent issue of "The New York Review of
        > Books"
        > has an article by Charles Simic about the work of the poet Robinson
        > Jeffers,
        > which is fascinating, check it out if you have an opportunity. Jeffers
        > wrote
        > unusual, powerful verse exploring the timeless resonances of the natural
        > world.The selections Simic includes in the article which I read yesterday
        > flew like swooping hawks into a deep place, and there they remain still
        > today, staring back at me with unblinking eyes.
        > Jeffers has a deep suspicion of modernism and a sense for the abiding
        > mythos of being which reminds one of similar insights and values expressed
        > by
        > Tolkien (though they were in other ways quite disimilar, I should add.)
        > Anyone else here a big fan of New York Review of Books? It is a real
        > treasure.Here is their site,btw http://www.nybooks.com/

        I subscribe to _The New York Review of Books_. I don't usually read every
        single article in every issue, since I just don't have that much time. I
        just read the article on Robinson Jeffers, and I don't see the comparison
        with Tolkien. Could you be more specific?

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28 1:40 AM
          writes:

          > I recall reading in one of JRRT's letters that he mentions having
          > received a fan letter from Iris Murdoch, which pleased him considerably.

          Can someone give us a reference as to which letter this is? i wonder if
          Tolkien and Murdoch met. Didn't Murdoch teach philosophy at Oxford and her
          husband teach English?

        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28 3:54 AM
            Wendell wrote:

            >> I recall reading in one of JRRT's letters that he mentions having
            >> received a fan letter from Iris Murdoch, which pleased him considerably.
            >
            >Can someone give us a reference as to which letter this is?

            It's in _Letters_, p. 353 (letter no. 267), Tolkien to his son Michael,
            9-10 January 1965: "But I suppose my greatest surprise was 4 days ago to
            get a warm fan-letter from Iris Murdoch. And if that name is just an 'Ava
            Gardner' to you, it can't be helped."

            Wayne Hammond