Re: [mythsoc] Moulin Rouge???

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
      On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:27:32PM -0500, odzer@... wrote:

      > >Moulin Rouge
      >
      > not to go to far off topic, but did anyone see this bizare flick, and if so,
      > did you like it?
      > I am a big fan of Nicole Kidman, but even that couldn't inspire me to watch
      > more than a few minutes of this movie when I came across it on HBO. Maybe I
      > didn't give it a chance? And I distinctly remember reading a review that
      > pointed out that it had some novel ideas, but that they just didn't come off,
      > that it was somehow all very superficial and without any compelling character
      > depth.

      My husband and I both liked it a lot. I think to enjoy it you have to
      understand that it's more in the musical genre than in the movie genre.
      It uses a fair bit of hyperbole and cliche both in plot and in characters,
      but when you understand that it's not *trying* to tell an original story
      at all, if you're like me, it doesn't bother you.

      Hmm, looking at my sentence structure, I can see it's far too early for
      me to be trying to write anything! But to relate this discussion to our
      topic, Moulin Rouge is, IMO, following the same sort of formula as a
      fairy tale. Fairy tales are replete with beautiful princesses and big
      bad wolves, yet we still enjoy them...why?
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
        I saw it, initially with great reluctance, at the prompting of our fearless
        leader, Ellie Farrell (whose opinions about films I greatly respect, and
        from whom I've learned a great deal about film matters: Thanks, Ellie!).

        I must say that the more I think about the film, the more I like it.
        (Initially, I was unwilling to watch it because I had read some mixed
        reviews -- reviews which, I see now, missed the point -- and because it
        would violate my "No Leguizamo" rule.) It is a startlingly imagined, richly
        presented, intensely energetic, and above all stunningly original film. On
        those grounds alone, I think it should have won Best Picture.

        | |
        | Ars longa, vita brevis. |
      • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
          > >Moulin Rouge
          >
          > not to go to far off topic, but did anyone
          > see this bizare flick, and if so, did you like it?

          I saw it seven times in the theatre and purchsed the DVD the day it came
          out. I feel that "Moulin Rouge" should have won Best Picture.

          > And I distinctly remember reading a review that
          > pointed out that it had some novel ideas, but
          > that they just didn't come off, that it was somehow
          > all very superficial and without any compelling character
          > depth.

          This reviewer missed the point completely. The film intentionally employs
          familiar characters and a classic story line as a means to re-invent the
          musical genre. Baz Luhrmann (the director) points out that the ending of the
          film is "given away" within the first two minutes because they don't want
          you worrying about what's going to happen next, but rather they want the
          viewer to get wrapped up in the spectacle of /how/ it happens.

          Love it or hate it, "Moulin Rouge" took more risks than any other film this
          year. The filmmakers set out to create something completely unlike anything
          else we've seen, and they succeeded in spades. I feel that kind of daring
          should be recognized and rewarded.

          -

          s&th
          sthooligan@...

          I've been looking for truth at the cost of living
          I've been afraid of what's before mine eyes
          Every answer found brings another question
          The further you go, the less you know
          -james
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
            I thought it was so original I have trouble evaluating whether it was
            successful. Let a few other directors try to make something like it and then
            I'll be able to tell whether it was a first-rate film of its kind. Its
            originality alone was enough to make it one of the top five or so films of
            last year, but I don't know whether I think it was completely satisfying.

            Wendell Wagner
          • Paul F. Labaki
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
              I saw it on video the day before the Oscars. I found it to be an awful lot
              of fun. Nevertheless, I think I require a second viewing before I can say
              whether it was satisfying, or successful. I, like Susan, was greatly put
              off by the trailers and things I'd read about it. That's why I didn't see
              it in the theater. I rarely enjoy musicals, but I try to give things I
              don't like a new go every now and again, The farcical quality made it a
              very different type of musical than those of the golden age, which usually
              leave me scratching my head or are so sugary as to make my tummy hurt.

              Peace,
              Paul Labaki