Moulin Rouge???

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
      >Moulin Rouge

      not to go to far off topic, but did anyone see this bizare flick, and if so,
      did you like it?
      I am a big fan of Nicole Kidman, but even that couldn't inspire me to watch
      more than a few minutes of this movie when I came across it on HBO. Maybe I
      didn't give it a chance? And I distinctly remember reading a review that
      pointed out that it had some novel ideas, but that they just didn't come off,
      that it was somehow all very superficial and without any compelling character
      depth.
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
        In a message dated 3/25/2002 9:28:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, odzer@...
        writes:

        > not to go to far off topic, but did anyone see this bizare flick, and if so,
        >
        > did you like it?

        My husband saw it and liked it a lot. I got a migraine just from watching
        the trailer, so I stayed away!

        Susan

      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
          On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:27:32PM -0500, odzer@... wrote:

          > >Moulin Rouge
          >
          > not to go to far off topic, but did anyone see this bizare flick, and if so,
          > did you like it?
          > I am a big fan of Nicole Kidman, but even that couldn't inspire me to watch
          > more than a few minutes of this movie when I came across it on HBO. Maybe I
          > didn't give it a chance? And I distinctly remember reading a review that
          > pointed out that it had some novel ideas, but that they just didn't come off,
          > that it was somehow all very superficial and without any compelling character
          > depth.

          My husband and I both liked it a lot. I think to enjoy it you have to
          understand that it's more in the musical genre than in the movie genre.
          It uses a fair bit of hyperbole and cliche both in plot and in characters,
          but when you understand that it's not *trying* to tell an original story
          at all, if you're like me, it doesn't bother you.

          Hmm, looking at my sentence structure, I can see it's far too early for
          me to be trying to write anything! But to relate this discussion to our
          topic, Moulin Rouge is, IMO, following the same sort of formula as a
          fairy tale. Fairy tales are replete with beautiful princesses and big
          bad wolves, yet we still enjoy them...why?
        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
            I saw it, initially with great reluctance, at the prompting of our fearless
            leader, Ellie Farrell (whose opinions about films I greatly respect, and
            from whom I've learned a great deal about film matters: Thanks, Ellie!).

            I must say that the more I think about the film, the more I like it.
            (Initially, I was unwilling to watch it because I had read some mixed
            reviews -- reviews which, I see now, missed the point -- and because it
            would violate my "No Leguizamo" rule.) It is a startlingly imagined, richly
            presented, intensely energetic, and above all stunningly original film. On
            those grounds alone, I think it should have won Best Picture.

            | |
            | Ars longa, vita brevis. |
          • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
              > >Moulin Rouge
              >
              > not to go to far off topic, but did anyone
              > see this bizare flick, and if so, did you like it?

              I saw it seven times in the theatre and purchsed the DVD the day it came
              out. I feel that "Moulin Rouge" should have won Best Picture.

              > And I distinctly remember reading a review that
              > pointed out that it had some novel ideas, but
              > that they just didn't come off, that it was somehow
              > all very superficial and without any compelling character
              > depth.

              This reviewer missed the point completely. The film intentionally employs
              familiar characters and a classic story line as a means to re-invent the
              musical genre. Baz Luhrmann (the director) points out that the ending of the
              film is "given away" within the first two minutes because they don't want
              you worrying about what's going to happen next, but rather they want the
              viewer to get wrapped up in the spectacle of /how/ it happens.

              Love it or hate it, "Moulin Rouge" took more risks than any other film this
              year. The filmmakers set out to create something completely unlike anything
              else we've seen, and they succeeded in spades. I feel that kind of daring
              should be recognized and rewarded.

              -

              s&th
              sthooligan@...

              I've been looking for truth at the cost of living
              I've been afraid of what's before mine eyes
              Every answer found brings another question
              The further you go, the less you know
              -james
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 25, 2002
                I thought it was so original I have trouble evaluating whether it was
                successful. Let a few other directors try to make something like it and then
                I'll be able to tell whether it was a first-rate film of its kind. Its
                originality alone was enough to make it one of the top five or so films of
                last year, but I don't know whether I think it was completely satisfying.

                Wendell Wagner
              • Paul F. Labaki
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2 4:22 PM
                  I saw it on video the day before the Oscars. I found it to be an awful lot
                  of fun. Nevertheless, I think I require a second viewing before I can say
                  whether it was satisfying, or successful. I, like Susan, was greatly put
                  off by the trailers and things I'd read about it. That's why I didn't see
                  it in the theater. I rarely enjoy musicals, but I try to give things I
                  don't like a new go every now and again, The farcical quality made it a
                  very different type of musical than those of the golden age, which usually
                  leave me scratching my head or are so sugary as to make my tummy hurt.

                  Peace,
                  Paul Labaki