Khazad-dum discussion group/name for cat

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2002
      In a message dated 3/22/02 6:59:51 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      >Khazad-dum discussion group

      Ah, what is/ was that about? you make it sound so ancient,Edith

      >I'm glad you joined our list! What Marianne didn't tell you is that she was
      a member of the Khazad-dum discussion group more years ago than either of us
      likes to think about. Like a number of previous members who have strayed,
      she's returning to the fold.

      Oh,just for fun,I should mention that I have a kitten who was born the night
      'the film' was released, and so I named him 'Sinde' intending this to mean
      'grey'(which he is) , Sinde Cundu, 'Grey Prince' in full. Did I get that
      right?

      John
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2002
        From: <odzer@...>

        > In a message dated 3/22/02 6:59:51 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >
        > >Khazad-dum discussion group
        >
        > Ah, what is/ was that about? you make it sound so ancient,Edith

        I'm not Edith, but I'll reply to the question. Khazad-dum is one of the
        local chapters of the Mythopoeic Society. We've been in existence what, 30
        years now? We're located in the San Francisco Bay Area and our members and
        meetings range from Berkely to Santa Cruz. We meet the second Sunday of
        each month at 2 p.m.

        Edith is one of the co-secretaries of Khazad-dum. I'm a member, as is my
        hubby David Bratman, Lisa Harrigan, Ellie Farrell, and a bunch of others who
        don't post here. If you're local, please join us. (You can argue with
        David in person, if you like.)

        The MythSoc web site has more information about the chapters as does the
        monthly print publication, Mythprint. There are a number of them across the
        country.

        Berni
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25, 2002
          Hello

          I'm not Edith either, but I did form the branch in January 1971, which makes me
          it's "Eldest" member <g>. I try to show up once or twice a year, to keep my
          membership "active".

          We originally formed at UC Santa Cruz which has a lot of caves underneath it
          (spelunking is actually a course there and Physical Geology is popular too) thus
          the reference to Khazad-Dum. We use the Door for our banner. When I moved up to
          San Francisco, I formed a branch there, too and some friends from Santa Cruz
          would come up to the meetings. There was once a branch in Berkeley. Everyone
          attended everyone elses meetings and as the branches grew smaller, we kinda
          collapsed together with Khazad-Dum being name for all of it since it was the
          oldest branch.

          Again, if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, we do have our meeting
          information on the web at www.mythsoc.org and Edith will be glad to add you to a
          e-mail meeting information list.

          Mythically yours,

          Lisa