Tolkien thief!

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2002
      So this past Wednesday, I left my two-volume Tolkien Ensemble CD in my
      mailbox at work for a former student to borrow. It was gone a few minutes
      later, which I thought odd since I hadn't seen her in the building and she'd
      said she wouldn't be able to get there for a few hours. Turns out she didn't
      take it: someone else did.

      Somebody STOLE my Tolkien CDs! Pretty nerdy thief, what? Unless I'm really
      out of touch and there's a raging black market in Tolkiena out there, what's
      the resale value likely to be? Think I should check out the Reno pawn shops?
      Oy!

      I only just found out about this when the former student e-mailed me that she
      hadn't picked up the set. I'm pretty freaked out. Yeah, I know it was
      probably just petty thieft of the "steal whatever isn't nailed down" variety,
      but this suggests that my department will have to keep its mailroom locked
      from now on -- who knows what else people might steal, if they're stealing
      Tolkien music? I mean, they might start stealing TERM PAPERS or something!

      Also, someone stole my nameplate (and another professor's) from the office
      directory bulletin board near our offices.

      <shudder> . . . I begin to suspect Orcs.

      How's that go? "'Yrch!' cried Susan, falling into her own tongue."

      :-(

      And if anybody gives me a lecture of the "you shouldn't leave anything of any
      value where anyone can see it" variety, I'll whap you upside the head with a
      carrot, especially since folks in my department leave books, tapes, and what
      have you in their mailboxes all the time. I'm in no mood for "blame the
      victim" lectures.

      So there. :-)

      Susan