Re: Mythcon

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 12, 1999
      In a message dated 8/11/99 8:53:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kare@...
      writes:

      > I describe it to people as a cross between a science fiction convention
      > and an academic conference.

      There are several weird side-effects of the mixing of fans and academics at
      Mythcon. One of them, which luckily I didn't have to explain to many of the
      paper presenters at the 1994 Mythcon (where I was the chair), was that all
      those papers which were written by English professors and grad students were
      read and evaluated by a programming committee that consisted of a computer
      programmer, a commercial artist turned administrative assistant, a
      translator/technical editor/proofreader, and a mathematician.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
        Lisa reminded us: <<Everyone - Don't forget to bring your $$$. We accept
        cash, checks and
        traveler's checks (and Paypal if you really blew it). >>

        *sigh* It's coming soon, isn't it? Have a good time, everyone! Do some
        shopping for me! lol

        Bridges. !! I want to see some papers on the subject !! :-)

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • David Lenander
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
          Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
          is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
          http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

          David Lenander
          d-lena@...
          2095 Hamline Ave. N.
          Roseville, MN 55113
          651-292-8887
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
            David Lenander [d-lena@...] wrote:
            > Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
            > is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
            > http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

            I especially liked this line: 'we took a 4 hour fairy ride across Lake
            Michigan so we didn't have to go around'.

            A most appropriate mode of transportation for getting to/from a Mythcon, I'd
            say.

            "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
            clothes."
            --Desiderius Erasmus
            Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
              > Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
              > is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
              > http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

              >>I especially liked this line: 'we took a 4 hour fairy ride across Lake
              >>Michigan so we didn't have to go around'.

              >>>A most appropriate mode of transportation for getting to/from a Mythcon,
              >>>I'd say.

              I liked that line myself. Neat to see Mythcon from a youngling's POV.---djb

              "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
              clothes."
              --Desiderius Erasmus
              Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Carol Mitchell
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 26, 2004
                Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?
                Thanks
                Carol

                Carol Mitchell listowner costumemidwest@yahoogroups.com
                Come to the Chicagoland Costumer's Guild Halloween costume party/Anniversary celebration in Mount Prospect, IL 11/2/03 www.chicostume.org
                We are running the masquerade(costume contest) at Windycon November 7-9 in Schaumburg. There will be two costume parties, one with an alien theme, one with a prize for silliest hat. www.windycon.org

              • mkkare
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 26, 2004
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Carol Mitchell <listcost25@y...> wrote:
                  > Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?
                  > Thanks
                  > Carol

                  Next year we will be holding Mythcon in conjunction with the UK
                  Tolkien Society's Tolkien 2005 celebration. More information is
                  available here

                  http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2005/about.html

                  We're going to be in Seattle in 2006 and Janet wants to do one in
                  Oklahoma for 2007.

                  MKK
                • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 27, 2004
                    Hi Carol -

                    As Mary Kay has already told you, we're going to be in Birmingham
                    England next year. There will be several of us doing the
                    WorldCon/TolkienCon (read MythCon) trip, including the Harrigans. Trying
                    to explain to friends why we can't join their organized tour because we
                    are doing TWO cons in August is fun <g>.

                    Watch this list for further information as people get their plans firmed up.

                    Mythically yours,
                    Lisa

                    Carol Mitchell wrote:

                    >Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?

                  • Stolzi
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                      Pleez, oh pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz, Janet, tell us there's going to be a
                      Masquerade!

                      Grace wouldn't let me do it last year....

                      Diamond Proudbrook
                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                        I've got it on the schedule -- who wants to be in charge? Don't all
                        stampede at once...

                        Janet

                        Pleez, oh pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz, Janet, tell us there's going to be a
                        Masquerade!

                        Grace wouldn't let me do it last year....

                        Diamond Proudbrook

                        You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See
                        how.
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

                        Links