Re: [mythsoc] David S. Bratman

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2002
      At 07:26 AM 3/15/2002 , John wrote:
      > Just to mention, I was looking at "Tolkien's Legendarium" the other day
      >and noticed the excellent article I was reading on the literary value of the
      >'History of Middle Earth" ( rereading actually, I had read it prev when i
      >first aquired the book several years ago) was written by our own estimable
      >David Bratman. Hats off to you, kudos, props, etc. I thought it was very well
      >done, thanks! (And what a nice hard cover binding too, by Greenwood Press )

      Thank you, but I think you will find if you read the rest of the book that
      I am honored to be in that company. I would recommend all the essays, but
      in the context of my own essay I'd particularly recommend the others in the
      same section. Charles Noad's essay, which seems to have the critical
      consensus as the book's finest, looks at the same problem as mine through
      the other end of the telescope, as it were; and Wayne Hammond and Christina
      Scull give more detailed looks at particular threads or periods in
      Tolkien's writing.

      And don't be scared off by the linguistic essays: they are fully detailed,
      but still comprehensible to non-linguists.

      > What is your piece " A Corrigenda to 'The Lord of the Rings" about, that
      >you cite in the bibliography?

      It is a collection of errors or potential errors in the text of LOTR as it
      existed at that time, which consist mostly of:

      1) Remaining known uncorrected typos from the original typesetting, or
      which were generated in previous corrections [most of which have been
      caught in new typesettings since the article was published, but alas, such
      is the way of the world, new errors have also been introduced]

      2) Apparent errors in the final typescript as it was originally submitted
      to the publishers, as unearthed by Christopher Tolkien in his study of the
      drafts, and reported by him in the volumes of "The History of The Lord of
      the Rings". These in turn may be divided into:

      a) Errors and omissions in typing (usually when typed by someone other than
      Tolkien) which Tolkien didn't catch when he reviewed the typescripts;

      b) Ghosts of earlier conceptions of the story which got overlooked when
      Tolkien revised the story.

      It was published in Tolkien Collector 6, about which information may be had
      at Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's web-site,
      http://lanfiles.williams.edu/~whammond/collect.html.

      David Bratman