Re: MythCon/BreeMoot papers

  • THEODORE SHERMAN
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 1999
      Ellie,

      I don't know about the MacWord98. Send it and I'll see if I can open it.

      To any others sending files that are not Word97: just send 'em along and I'll
      see if I can open them. If not, I'll let you know.

      Ted
      --
      Dr. Theodore James Sherman
      Associate Professor of English
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 1999
        > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>
        >
        > Ted,
        >
        > >I am especially interested in Ellie Farrell's "Arthur Lite," David
        > >Bratman's "Top 10 Plots," and Dwayne Thorpe's "Mapping Desires" papers.
        >
        > I'm flattered.... and you got it (just as soon as I update my "filmography"
        > reference section...). Will Word '98 for Mac file do, or is "text only"
        > better?
        >
        > Ellie

        You may be flattered, Ellie, but I'm tickled <insert the color of your
        choice>. Yours was the paper I most regretted having to miss. Ted's
        going to do what Glen never could -- get me to read Mythlore!

        Berni
      • Steve Schaper
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 1999
          Speaking of BreeMoot papers, is _Beyond Bree_ still published?

          --Steve
          ======================================
          It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
          ======================================
        • David Lenander
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 1999
            MacOffice98 products supposedly have the same file format as WinOffice97, though
            occasionally there may be some tricky things with fonts not being exactly the
            same (this has nothing to do with MS Office, but the respective OSs & fonts
            loaded on the systems), or some file-naming conventions might be a problem, or
            use of some truly arcane features, probably not employed by 99% of users. Of
            course the Win machine probably can't read a Mac-formatted disk (but the Macs
            can read & write Win-formatted disks). In our library, where we have a couple
            dozen of each platform, and about a dozen copies of Office, in both flavors, for
            use of our students & staff, we have not found any difficulties in transferring
            users from one platform to the other or Office- (and that mostly means Word-) 97
            to 98. Someone can work on a paper on a Mac in the morning, and come back and
            use a Windows machine in the afternoon (as long as they're using a
            Windows-formatted diskette). Office 97 & 98 are essentially the same program,
            with only minor feature differences. Both versions can also read most older
            versions files, though when you get to reading old WordPerfect or other
            word-processor files things get a lot more complicated, and an RTF file is
            safer.

            Responding to the message of <37B2334E.3B475D00@...>
            from mythsoc@onelist.com:

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 12, 1999
              Responding to the message of <v04210106b3d7f535f834@[24.2.204.60]>
              from mythsoc@onelist.com:

              > From: Steve Schaper <sschaper@...>
              >
              > Speaking of BreeMoot papers, is _Beyond Bree_ still published?
              >
              > --Steve
              most definitely! You can find the web-page with subscription info from the Bree
              Moot site. (Substitute BreeMoot for OnceUponATime in the URL in my Signature
              file, below).
            • THEODORE SHERMAN
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12, 1999
                Thanks, David, for that very helpful information. So you Macies, send 'em on!

                Ted

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 12, 1999
                  FWIW, RTF and HTML are far more common and translatable formats than
                  Microsoft's multitude of formats, which don't always translate well
                  even from one version of Word to another.

                  --Steve

                  "Often I find evangelicals playing games with the first half of
                  Genesis. But if you remove a true, historic, space-time fall, the
                  answers are finished. It is not only that historic, Biblical
                  Christianity as it stands in the stream of history is gone, but every
                  answer we possess in the area of morals in the area of man and his
                  dilemma, is gone."

                  Dr. Francis Schaeffer, _He is There and He is Not Silent_ pg. 35