Tolkien and the movie

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2002
      It's been pointed out, frequently, that Tolkien sold the movie rights
      himself, and so (it's implied) we can't dispute his willingness to have one
      made.

      Here's a little more about that:

      "Brass bands playing, big drums thumping, the publicity circus for the
      mythology-movie _The Lord of the Rings_ draws near; but all I can hear is
      the chuckle of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, 30 years ago, telling me that he
      had consented to a film rights deal with one of the big studios.

      "'Not that there's any chance of a film being made,' he said. But the deal
      meant, at least, that film company lawyers would save him from the
      distraction of guarding his copyrights from people making Hobbit t-shirts
      or plastic Gandalf toys, and let him get on with his work."

      - Bill Cater, Daily Telegraph, Nov. 29, 2001

      David Bratman