Re: fictionalized Inklings

  • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2002
      David--

      In "The Dance along the Artery: T. S. Eliot and Charles Williams'" Stephen
      Medcalf suggests that Sir Henry Harcourt-Reilly in _The Cocktail Party_ is,
      in part at least, based on Charles Williams (_CW: The Charles Williams
      Society Newsletter_, No. 100 [Autumm 2001], 45-46)--and that Eliot's Celia
      in that play is influenced by Phyllis Jones and _Many Dimension_'s Chloe
      (although he has to hypothesize that Williams told Eliot about Jones). I
      don't know if you're planning to include plays in your possible
      bibliography, but I thought I'd mention it. (I realize that if you include
      plays, you may have to include the Lewis figure in one of Barfield's
      philosophic dialogues--but that's the question of dividing lines a
      bibliographer has to make.)

      --Joe