Tolkien quote source

  • Janet Croft
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2002
      I'm frustrated! I've found many references to Tolkien once calling his more
      obsessive fans his "deplorable cultus", but I can't find the original
      source. I've read back through the letters from 1958 on, and unless I
      scanned over it (oh, for a searchable electronic version!) it just isn't
      there. Does anyone out there know the source for this phrase?

      Unlike some historians recently in the news, I hate citing anything without
      a nice tidy footnote... Any help appreciated, since my last opportunity to
      revise this paper before I leave for my conference is tomorrow!

      Janet

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma
      Bizzell Library NW106
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/
      How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2002
        Janet wrote:

        >I'm frustrated! I've found many references to Tolkien once calling his more
        >obsessive fans his "deplorable cultus", but I can't find the original
        >source. I've read back through the letters from 1958 on, and unless I
        >scanned over it (oh, for a searchable electronic version!) it just isn't
        >there. Does anyone out there know the source for this phrase?
        >
        >Unlike some historians recently in the news, I hate citing anything without
        >a nice tidy footnote... Any help appreciated, since my last opportunity to
        >revise this paper before I leave for my conference is tomorrow!

        Humphrey Carpenter, _J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography_, p. 231 (1977 ed.; pt.
        VI, ch. 3): "As for Tolkien himself, writing to his colleague Norman Davis
        he referred to the widespread enthusiasm for his books as 'my deplorable
        cultus'. . . ." We don't know the date of Tolkien's letter to Davis, but
        presumably it's post-1965. It isn't in _Letters_, and Carpenter omits
        citations.

        No searchable version of _Letters_, no, but the latest edition has an
        improved and greatly expanded index, with numerous references to fans and
        fan-mail.

        Wayne Hammond & Christina Scull
      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2002
          Wayne and Christina, thank you so much! May the hair on your toes never
          fall out!

          Janet
          >I'm frustrated! I've found many references to Tolkien once calling his
          more
          >obsessive fans his "deplorable cultus", but I can't find the original
          >source. I've read back through the letters from 1958 on, and unless I
          >scanned over it (oh, for a searchable electronic version!) it just isn't
          >there. Does anyone out there know the source for this phrase?
          >
          >Unlike some historians recently in the news, I hate citing anything
          without
          >a nice tidy footnote... Any help appreciated, since my last opportunity
          >revise this paper before I leave for my conference is tomorrow!

          Humphrey Carpenter, _J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography_, p. 231 (1977 ed.; pt.
          VI, ch. 3): "As for Tolkien himself, writing to his colleague Norman Davis
          he referred to the widespread enthusiasm for his books as 'my deplorable
          cultus'. . . ." We don't know the date of Tolkien's letter to Davis, but
          presumably it's post-1965. It isn't in _Letters_, and Carpenter omits
          citations.

          No searchable version of _Letters_, no, but the latest edition has an
          improved and greatly expanded index, with numerous references to fans and
          fan-mail.

          Wayne Hammond & Christina Scull

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor