Re: [mythsoc] And speaking of inserting oneself (or something) into the book . . .

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2002
      From: David S. Bratman
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 1:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] And speaking of inserting oneself (or something) into the book . . .

      >I shall have to get this new book. A first for me: I've never read a
      Doctor Who novel. Whoever reads it first can give a report.

      >David Bratman

      I've never read a Dr. Who book, either, mostly _because_ I'm a longtime Whovian and love the TV show--some episodes more than others, mostly depending on which of the seven Doctors is involved. The combination of campiness, interesting and even serious specfic notions (often more fantasy than sci-fi), relatively developed characters, and [i]really bad[/i] special effects is endearing somehow. I've always been afraid that reading the books (there are shelves of the things, usually alongside the Star Trek and Star Wars books) would be like reading a novelization of a movie I enjoyed--not always a good experience.
      I may try to find this one, though, both because of the Tolkien connection and because it sounds like a classic Dr. Who story. They've done send-ups of everyone from King Arthur to Leonardo da Vinci to Arthur Conan Doyle, so Tolkien is in good company.

      --Trudy