MythCon/BreeMoot papers

  • THEODORE SHERMAN
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 1999
      Those of you who presented papers at the BreeMoot4/MythCon XXX and plan
      to submit them to Mythlore for possible publication, please do so at
      your earliest convenience. In all events, please get them to me by 15
      September.

      You may send them snailmail to the address below (or to my home address:
      Ted Sherman, 6545 Dynasty Drive, Murfreesboro, TN 37128); or you may
      email them to me as attached files (preferably in Word97 format, though
      I can also open other formats). I prefer the email method because then
      I'll have a disk to edit from and files I can send off to readers for
      their evaluations.

      I am especially interested in Ellie Farrell's "Arthur Lite," David
      Bratman's "Top 10 Plots," and Dwayne Thorpe's "Mapping Desires" papers.

      Yours,

      Ted

      --
      Dr. Theodore James Sherman
      Associate Professor of English
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 1999
        Ted,

        >I am especially interested in Ellie Farrell's "Arthur Lite," David
        >Bratman's "Top 10 Plots," and Dwayne Thorpe's "Mapping Desires" papers.

        I'm flattered.... and you got it (just as soon as I update my "filmography"
        reference section...). Will Word '98 for Mac file do, or is "text only"
        better?

        Ellie
      • THEODORE SHERMAN
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 1999
          Ellie,

          I don't know about the MacWord98. Send it and I'll see if I can open it.

          To any others sending files that are not Word97: just send 'em along and I'll
          see if I can open them. If not, I'll let you know.

          Ted
          --
          Dr. Theodore James Sherman
          Associate Professor of English
          Middle Tennessee State University
          Murfreesboro, TN 37130
          (615) 898-2678
          tsherman@...
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 1999
            > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>
            >
            > Ted,
            >
            > >I am especially interested in Ellie Farrell's "Arthur Lite," David
            > >Bratman's "Top 10 Plots," and Dwayne Thorpe's "Mapping Desires" papers.
            >
            > I'm flattered.... and you got it (just as soon as I update my "filmography"
            > reference section...). Will Word '98 for Mac file do, or is "text only"
            > better?
            >
            > Ellie

            You may be flattered, Ellie, but I'm tickled <insert the color of your
            choice>. Yours was the paper I most regretted having to miss. Ted's
            going to do what Glen never could -- get me to read Mythlore!

            Berni
          • Steve Schaper
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11, 1999
              Speaking of BreeMoot papers, is _Beyond Bree_ still published?

              --Steve
              ======================================
              It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
              ======================================
            • David Lenander
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12, 1999
                MacOffice98 products supposedly have the same file format as WinOffice97, though
                occasionally there may be some tricky things with fonts not being exactly the
                same (this has nothing to do with MS Office, but the respective OSs & fonts
                loaded on the systems), or some file-naming conventions might be a problem, or
                use of some truly arcane features, probably not employed by 99% of users. Of
                course the Win machine probably can't read a Mac-formatted disk (but the Macs
                can read & write Win-formatted disks). In our library, where we have a couple
                dozen of each platform, and about a dozen copies of Office, in both flavors, for
                use of our students & staff, we have not found any difficulties in transferring
                users from one platform to the other or Office- (and that mostly means Word-) 97
                to 98. Someone can work on a paper on a Mac in the morning, and come back and
                use a Windows machine in the afternoon (as long as they're using a
                Windows-formatted diskette). Office 97 & 98 are essentially the same program,
                with only minor feature differences. Both versions can also read most older
                versions files, though when you get to reading old WordPerfect or other
                word-processor files things get a lot more complicated, and an RTF file is
                safer.

                Responding to the message of <37B2334E.3B475D00@...>
                from mythsoc@onelist.com:

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 12, 1999
                  Responding to the message of <v04210106b3d7f535f834@[24.2.204.60]>
                  from mythsoc@onelist.com:

                  > From: Steve Schaper <sschaper@...>
                  >
                  > Speaking of BreeMoot papers, is _Beyond Bree_ still published?
                  >
                  > --Steve
                  most definitely! You can find the web-page with subscription info from the Bree
                  Moot site. (Substitute BreeMoot for OnceUponATime in the URL in my Signature
                  file, below).
                • THEODORE SHERMAN
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 12, 1999
                    Thanks, David, for that very helpful information. So you Macies, send 'em on!

                    Ted

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 12, 1999
                      FWIW, RTF and HTML are far more common and translatable formats than
                      Microsoft's multitude of formats, which don't always translate well
                      even from one version of Word to another.

                      --Steve

                      "Often I find evangelicals playing games with the first half of
                      Genesis. But if you remove a true, historic, space-time fall, the
                      answers are finished. It is not only that historic, Biblical
                      Christianity as it stands in the stream of history is gone, but every
                      answer we possess in the area of morals in the area of man and his
                      dilemma, is gone."

                      Dr. Francis Schaeffer, _He is There and He is Not Silent_ pg. 35